Pages

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Toffee Oatmeal Cookies

Words from a true Cookie Monster...

Light crispy edges with a delicate crunch and a soft gooey center. The toffee pieces are the perfect size so you get at least one piece in every bite and the buttery finish lingers in your mouth making you want another bite.

My husband actually said those words as he walked out the door with a stack of cookies on a napkin.

These cookies got rave reviews from my family and friends and now I would like to share them with you.

Heath Toffee Bits are what makes these cookies amazing!
These cookies flatten out and don’t puff, so I guess you could call them crisps instead, but to me they're cookies.

My notes to you…
Sometimes I give people cookies and sometimes I give them dough. It all depends on whom I’m giving it too. Fresh baked cookies are delicious and always welcome. However, if you give someone frozen dough, they can bake their own fresh baked cookies whenever they want.

To freeze the dough I scoop it out as if I were making cookies and place them on a cookies sheet, then place the sheet pan in the freezer. When the dough is frozen, I place frozen balls in a zip top bag with baking info. Bake frozen dough in a 375 degree oven for 10 min. (usually 1 min. more than unfrozen dough)



*** Baked cookies freeze well  and these cookies are delicious straight out of the freezer.

I use a small ice cream scoop to measure and shape my cookies. It makes the job fast and easy. If you don’t have one, simply measure a heaping Tbsp. of dough and roll into a ball. These cookies need to be mounded and will flatten out in the oven.


You don’t need a fresh piece of parchment for each batch of cookies. I reuse the same parchment paper to bake the next batch. I simply place the dough in the same spot as the cookie before. I only need 2 sheets of parchment – one is in the oven and the other is getting cookie dough scooped on it. I have a small outdated oven that can only bake one sheet at a time. Yup, 6 cookies – every 9 minutes…that’s devotion!


My friend Bonnie makes EXCELLENT cookies and she taught me a few of her tricks that I want to share with you;

Always under bake your cookies about a minute. They will look under cooked, but will finish on the counter with the residual heat.

Carefully tilt the pan and let the parchment paper slide off just enough so you can grab on to the parchment paper and gently slide it off to the cookie sheet, pulling the cookies along with the parchment paper onto the counter to cool right out of the oven. When cookies have firmed up - transfer to a cooling rack.


Under baking and cooling cookies off the pan is the key to making crispy on the outside, chewy middle cookies.


Toffee Oatmeal Cookies
Makes 2 1/2 dozen
printable recipe

½         cup     white sugar
1          cup     brown sugar, packed
1          cup     butter, softened
1          tsp.      vanilla
1          lg.        egg

1 ¾      cups   flour
1          tsp.      baking soda
½         tsp.      kosher salt (or ¼ tsp. table salt)

1          cup     oatmeal
1 ¼      cup     rice krispies cereal
1 1/3   cup     Heath English toffee bits (8oz. pk)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl, cream sugars and butter until creamy. Add egg and vanilla and mix until light and fluffy.

Whisk flour, baking soda and salt to blend. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and mix to blend.

Stir in oatmeal, rice krispies and toffee bits.

Shape a heaping Tablespoon of dough into a mound, with a small ice cream scoop (see note above) or shape into balls with your hands. Place them on a parchment lined cookie sheet; about 2” apart (I get 6 on a sheet).

Bake 8-9 min.(mine took 8 1/2 min.) and immediately slide the cookies with the parchment onto the counter to cool.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2018
Note to self...
I cut the dough balls in half to make smaller cookies; this made 42 cookies of average size (rather than large) I baked 16 cookies; then froze the rest of the dough balls. First on a sheet pan, then in a zip bag with the baking temp and time written on it.

With the smaller cookies I could fit 8 on one sheet pan, 3 lining each side with 2 in the middle. Remember, his dough spreads out thin.

Instead of the 1 cup of oatmeal, I substituted 1 cup of Aunty Di's granola and it made these cookies even more awesome.

bake 375 degrees for 8 - 9 min.

Frozen dough - bake for 9 - 10 min.


1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to say thank you for the delicious recipe. I hope you post more recipes soon!

    ReplyDelete