Pages

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Dave's FCD Black Bean & Sirloin Chili


This recipe was shared with me from my friend Dave who passed it on from San Francisco’s Fog City Diner. I appropriately call it Dave’s FCD Chili.

This is a well balanced steak chili with the corn flour adding just the right amount of hummmmmm? The original recipe called for 5 jalapenos seeded which I shrunk down to 3 whole with seeds that were about 2 ½ inches long and pretty much the length and width of my thumbs. This made for a mild chili with what I though was the perfect amount of spice.

I switched up the sirloin for tri tip steak, because it looked good and to be perfectly honest… it was cheaper. The tri tip cooked up soft and tender. I would definitely use it again.

This chili is more like a stew with wonderful flavors that get better on the reheat. My husband thought the meat was so delicious that he suggested that the next time, I make it bean-less so it won't take away from the meat itself. On the other hand, I would keep the black beans, add a can of drained kidney beans and a can of drained hominy to the mix to make it even heartier. What can I say? Except, everyone has their own personal preference…

I served the chili with sour cream, diced avocado and tomatoes on top.

My Version of...
DAVE’S FCD’S BLACK BEAN and SIRLOIN CHILI

1/4 cup olive oil
3 pounds boneless tri tip, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 large onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. garlic, minced
3 whole fresh jalapenos, chopped fine with seeds
1/3 cup Masa Harina, corn flour
1/3 cup, plus 1 tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. cayenne pepper
½ tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. white pepper
2 tsp Kosher salt
2 14oz cans Swanson’s beef broth
½ cup water
2 15 oz cans black beans, drained & rinsed
1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained & rinsed (optional)
1 29 oz can hominy, drained (optional)

In a heavy pot, brown the meat with olive oil on med-high heat. Remove meat but don’t discard the rendered oil. Add onion, garlic, jalapeno and cook until soft. Add Masa Harina and all spices and stir often (so it won’t burn) for five minutes (this is an important step). Add broth & meat and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer uncovered until meat is tender (45 minutes). Skim off some of the fat if needed. Stir in beans and simmer 15 minutes.

MORE BEEF RECIPES

EASY BEEF STROGANOFF

PRIME RIB

HAMBURGER STEAK WITH BROWN GRAVY AND ONIONS

HAWAIIAN STYLE BEEF STEW

MEATBALLS

MARINATED FLANK STEAK

CORNED BEEF HASH

KAL BI

LOCO MOCO

BEEF BROCCOLI

TERIYAKI MEATLOAF

1 comment:

  1. Dad's right. No beans please. But that looks like my kind of meat!

    ReplyDelete