My friend Bonnie shared this recipe with me and my family loves it. It is a simple one pot meal that is as good as beef stroganoff gets in a home kitchen.
This dish is excellent right after it has been cooked but amazingly it is also yummy the next day reheated.
When I am at the butchers counter I look for tenderloin chunks (random pieces of the trim from the tenderloin). They don’t have them very often, but if they do, they will be about half the price of tenderloin. And if I happen to stumble over a pound or two, we will be having stir fry or beef stroganoff for dinner. I wouldn’t buy tenderloin and slice it up for this dish because it’s too expensive.
A well marbled sirloin steak works equally well in this dish and it is usually what I use. Whichever cut of meat you choose for this dish is not as important as to how you cook it. Don’t over cook it. Brown the meat in a hot pan to a med rare and you will end up with tender beef.
BONNIE’S BEEF STROGANOFF
1 ½ pounds sirloin or tenderloin, sliced thin across the grain
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
½ tsp. black pepper, divided
2 Tbsp. flour
3 Tbsp. olive oil, for frying
1 med onion, finely chopped
1 pound mushrooms, sliced thick
1 14 oz can beef broth
¼ cup ketchup
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
1 12 oz. pk. egg noodles
1 cup sour cream or heavy whipping cream or a combo of both
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook egg noodles for one minute less than suggested on package (4 – 5 minutes).
2. Slice the meat into thin strips across the grain.
3. Place meat in a bowl and season with 1 tsp. kosher salt & ¼ tsp. black pepper and mix to distribute the seasonings evenly.
4. Heat a heavy bottomed skillet or large sauté pan on med – high and add 2 Tbsp. olive oil.
5. Toss the seasoned beef with the flour and mix well to coat all the meat.
6. Brown meat in the olive oil to a med rare and remove from the pan.
7. Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil to the pan and add onions and garlic (in that order so the garlic won’t burn). Cook until the onions are soft.
8. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
9. Add the beef broth, ketchup, red wine vinegar, and worcestershire.
10. Season with 1 tsp. kosher salt and ¼ tsp. black pepper.
11. Add the meat back to the pot and stir to mix.
12. Add the egg noodles and stir to mix.
13. Remove the pan from heat and mix in the sour cream or heavy whipping cream.
14. Serve with crusty French bread.
MORE BEEF RECIPES
DAVE'S FCD BLACK BEAN & SIRLOIN CHILI
HAMBURGER STEAK WITH BROWN GRAVY AND ONIONS
HAWAIIAN STYLE BEEF STEW
MARINATED FLANK STEAK
CORNED BEEF HASH