Only in Hawaii will you find stew that taste like this. Slow cooked tender chunks of meat, in a beef and tomato flavored gravy with potatoes and carrots.
I like to brown the meat in a separate pan so it will brown evenly. I know, one more thing to wash… but, it’s worth it. The browning adds a tremendous amount of flavor. So, don’t skip this step. It also cooks and colors the flour which will thicken the gravy. I use my nonstick wok, but, a large saute pan would work fine.
HAWAIIAN STYLE BEEF STEW
3 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 1” cubes
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1 large onion, diced small
2 stalks celery, diced small
1 14oz. can Italian stewed tomatoes
1 8oz. can tomato sauce
22 oz. water, use the cans to measure
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
¼ tsp. pepper
¼ tsp. granulated garlic or 1- 2 cloves, minced
4 carrots, chunked into bite size pieces
4 red potatoes, chunked into bite size pieces
- Trim fat from the chuck and cut into 1” cubes. Place in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle with the seasoned salt and flour. Mix the flour in to the meat well until it is all absorbed.
- Place the stewed tomatoes into a large pot and crush them with your hands to break up into smaller pieces. Then add the tomato sauce, water, salt, pepper, sugar and garlic.
- Heat a nonstick pan or wok on med-high heat and add 2 Tbsp. oil. Add ½ the meat to the pan and spread out but don’t stir. Let cook for a couple of minutes to brown. Then turn meat to brown evenly. Remove browned meat with a tong or slotted spoon so the oil will stay in the pan. Place the meat in the pot with the tomatoes. Cook the other half of the meat the same way.
- In the same pan saute the onions and celery until soft. Add to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer covered for 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Add potatoes and carrots and cook for another 15 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are cooked.