Pages

Monday, September 17, 2018

Cottage Cheese Meatloaf

Cottage Cheese Meatloaf
I had gathered all the ingredients to make a meatloaf when I saw the container of cottage cheese in the fridge (that I had intended for something else) and skeptically did a google search to see if anyone else thought that meatloaf and cottage cheese might go together. I quickly discovered that I was not as crazy as I thought.


Rumor has it that Cottage Cheese Meatloaf became a thing back in 1968 and the original recipe was printed in the Sunset Ground Beef Cookbook. So this was not a new idea – but it was for me.

I decided to make my basic meatloaf recipe and add cottage cheese to it. I’m not a fan of oats in my loaf (that’s what the recipe called for). In my opinion oats make the loaf kinda slimy, so I always use breadcrumbs. The cottage cheese created a moist and tender loaf that set up well and sliced without falling apart. I will be adding cottage cheese to my meatloaf from now on.

What’s your favorite meatloaf recipe? Share it with me!

Cottage Cheese Meatloaf
3          pounds            ground beef
½         large                onion, chopped small
1 ½      cloves              garlic, minced
1          cup                  plain bread crumbs
1          tsp.                  kosher salt
½         tsp.                  black pepper
2          Tbsp.               Worcestershire sauce
2          Tbsp.               ketchup + more to smear over the top
1          large                egg
2          cups                cottage cheese (16oz./1#)

Sauté the onions and garlic low and slow with about 1 Tbsp. oil until soft and sweet.

In a large mixing bowl add all the ingredients except the meat and mix well to evenly distribute the seasonings.  Break up the meat and add it to the seasonings.  Mix well and shape into 1 large loaf or 2 medium loaves and place into a 9”X13” baking pan or sheet pan. Smear ketchup over meatloaf to lightly coat.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Let meatloaf sit for about 15 – 20 minutes to allow it to set up. Carefully transfer with a large spatula to a serving platter or dish.

get the EASY BROWN GRAVY RECIPE

5 comments:

  1. Does the cottagecheese meatloaf have pan drippings to make a gravy for the meat loaf ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suggest you make my Easy Brown Gravy https://susan-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.com/2010/04/hamburger-steak-with-brown-gravy.html#more ENJOY

      Delete
    2. Don't make gravy It tastes amazing. With a glaze of Ketchup and honey on top and Bacon if you want. the bacon on top adds that drippings and flavor

      Delete
  2. Does the cottage cheese make it more moist does it melt ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cottage cheese does make it more moist and I guess you could say that it kind of melts but not completely.

      Delete