Pages

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Molasses and Raisin Bran Muffins

My mission was to make bran a pleasure to eat and I found the trick in an article in the Seattle Times. The headline read – Chef Greg Atkinson finds the key to a tasty bran muffin. I don’t know Chef Greg, but I can assure you that the headline speaks the truth.

These are the best bran muffins I have ever had. They are light and sweet on the inside with a surprisingly crispy top. The raisin puree is the magic trick that makes these muffins moist.

There are countless reasons to have an amazing bran muffin recipe in your repertoire. However, it’s usually not because we crave bran, as much as, we need more fiber in our diet. You could be a puritan and eat the sawdust (bran) straight up, but I’m not that hardcore.

Everyone seems to be sharing their version of the Kellogg’s Bran Muffin recipe. Yes, it’s tried and true, but it needs 3 – 6 cups of cereal (which has gotten really expensive) and makes enough batter to feed a small country.

What made Chef Greg’s recipe the answer to my wishes is that he used wheat bran (which cost pennies) and the recipe only made a dozen amazing muffins.

My Notes to you:
I used craisins, because that’s what I had and they worked perfectly.  Though I own a food processor (which is what the recipe called for), I often don’t take it out unless it’s for a big job. In this situation I used an immersion blender, simply for easy clean up. You could also use a blender, but let the raisins cool down or the hot liquid will make your blender top burst and that won’t be easy clean up.

The batter will fill the paper liners almost to the top.

Molasses and Raisin Bran Muffins
adapted from Chef Greg Atkinson

WET
1          cup      raisins or craisins
1          cup      water
½         cup      canola or corn oil
½         cup      molasses
add egg to puree after it has slightly cooled.
1          lg.        egg, lightly beaten

DRY
1          cup      flour
½         cup      sugar
2          tsp.      baking powder
½         tsp.      baking soda
1          tsp.      kosher salt
2          cups     wheat bran

1. Put paper muffin liners in the cups of a 12-cup muffin tin. Lightly spray the papers with nonstick cooking spray or brush them with a light coat of canola oil. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

2. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the raisins and water. When the water begins to boil, reduce heat to low and let the raisins simmer until they are plumped and soft, about 5 minutes. Add oil and molasses to raisins and puree with an immersion blender or food processor. Cool slightly, then stir in lightly beaten egg.

3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt, then stir in the wheat bran. Add the raisin mixture all at once to the dry mixture and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Do not over mix.

4. Distribute the batter evenly in the prepared muffin cups and bake until the muffins are browned on top and springy to the touch, about 20 minutes.

5. Cool the muffins on a rack for at least 10 minutes before serving.

11 comments:

  1. I have been looking for this recipe forever!! Well, not this precise recipe, but one that would replicate the bran muffins I used to buy in the 90s at Harvest Ranch Market in San Diego. They quit selling them, and I never knew why. Anyway, this is it! The ones I used to get had fresh cranberries and walnuts...so that's what I put in them. They sold some that they put fresh bananas in, and they were good too. I used part good quality whole flour and part white. I think I needed to put more flour, so next time I will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was a great recipe. For the wet part, I changed a few things - I put dark & light raising + dates for a total of 1 cup. Instead of 1/2cup of oil I split it with 1/4 c apple sauce + 1/4 olive oil. After cooking for the 20 minutes -fantastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the fresh new ideas and for taking the time to share them!

      Delete
  3. So moist and flavorful !! I did substitute brown sugar .. definite making these again !! Thanks for sharing ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent taste. I did make a couple of changes. First, I used 1/2 cup ground flax, 1/2 cup wheat germ and 1 cup wheat bran. Second I used 1/4 cup brown sugar but next time I would leave sugar out completely as it’s sweet enough with the raisin purée. Third I used whole wheat flour. I will make them again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made today. Love them. Its the recipe I've been looking for. But when i baked in my toaster oven they burnt. I think i need to turn down and really watch them. I used all bran cereal that I grounded up. I might add some nuts next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it necessary to make the puree? I'd rather just mix the wet ingredients as they are. Thank you. Looking forward to trying your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suggest that you don't skip the pureeing step or your muffins may be too dry.

      Delete
  7. I made recipe as well. Came out very good. But my husband and I miss the whole, chewy raisins in there. I'll try it again, but I'll add a little water to make up for not doing the puree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only puréed half the raisins as I like the whole raisin texture, came out perfect!

    ReplyDelete