Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Oyakodonburi – Easy Japanese Chicken and Rice Bowl

Oyakodonburi
Japanese Chicken and Egg
Had I known then, what I know now…

Growing up I could only get Oyakodonburi on special occasions like when my family would eat out at a neighborhood Japanese restaurant. I would get teased for ordering something so simple when there were so many other options. But I didn’t care, it was my favorite.

The name alone was fun to say “Oyakodonburi” and the combination of tender chicken, onions, mushrooms and bamboo shoots suspended in egg over steamed rice flavored with a thin savory sauce was like nothing I had ever eaten before (wow, that was a mouth full). No one cooked it at my house and I had no idea (this was long before internet) how to create this taste.

It took many years into my adulthood to discover that this was simply a quick and easy 15 minute meal that was hot and satisfying taking me back to my youth. Cooking for one has never been easier.

My notes for you…
·         This recipe easily doubles, triples… and beyond. However, I would suggest that you cook one portion at a time in an 8” sauté pan with a lid. If you want to make two portions at once in a large serving bowl served family style, I would suggest cooking 2 servings in a 10” sauté pan.
·         Freeze the extra dashi for up to 3 months. Dashi can also be used for miso soup and poaching vegetables.
Dashi reference.

EASY DASHI 
Makes 2 cups

Bring 2 cups water to a boil and remove from heat, add a 2 inch piece of kombu and 1/2 cup of loosely packed bonito flakes and let sit for 10 minutes, then strain. Your dashi is ready.

***If you want a fuller flavor, soak kombu in the water overnight, then bring it to a simmer (don't boil), turn off stove, add bonito flakes and let it steep for 10 minutes, then strain.

or you can use...

Instant Hondashi is easily available and makes this easy meal easier. I recommend ½ tsp. per cup of water. Taste it and you decide if you prefer a stronger flavor (up to 1 tsp. per cup of water)







Oyakodonburi - Easy Japanese Chicken and Rice Bowl
one serving

Adapted from Cooking Japanese 101


SAUCE
¼         cup     dashi
1 ½      tsp.      sugar
1 ½      tsp.      sake, Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
1 ½      tsp.      mirin
1          Tbsp.  soy sauce (I used Kikkoman)


Filling
¼         onion, sliced thin
1          chicken thigh, cut into bite size pieces
1          green onion, cut into 2” legnths
1          egg, scrambled

1 ½      cups      cooked rice

Optional add in’s

2-3 mushrooms, sliced – button or shitake or a combo of both

1 bamboo shoot tip, sliced



·         Mix sauce ingredient together and place in a 8" saute pan. I use my non-stick egg pan.
·         Add chicken, onions (mushrooms and bamboo shoots – if using) to sauce. Bring to a boil over high heat; cover and let cook for 5 – 6 minutes over medium heat or until chicken is cooked through. Stir or shake pan once to ensure even cooking.
·         When chicken is cooked through, place green onion pieces over the chicken and sauce and pour egg evenly over the chicken. Cover and let cook for 1 (soft) – 3 (well) minutes or until you get your desired doneness.
·         Place rice in bowl and slide chicken and egg mixture over rice along with any extra sauce in the pan. ENJOY!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment