Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tuna Noodle Casserole

PRINT RECIPE




What do you do when you have too many egg noodles in your pantry?

Make tuna noodle casserole.

I use can cream of mushroom soup for two things, green bean casserole for Thanksgiving and after tonight’s dinner, Tuna Noodle Casserole.

I found this crazy well reviewed recipe at http://southernfood.about.com/od/tunacasserolerecipes/r/bl30609o.htm

Everything about this recipe was wrong to me. I almost always cook from scratch and have made many tuna casseroles in my day cooking up a simple white sauce as my base. But tonight everything changed.

What drew me to make this recipe was the addition of mayonnaise. It was so out of place that I had to give it a try. High fat and cholesterol disguised in a creamy casserole. It is so simple to make but we really shouldn’t eat it but once or twice a year as a side dish not a main dish.

The recipe is basically cream of mushroom soup, mayonnaise, milk, cheese and tuna topped with crushed potato chips. I put this together so fast that I forgot to add the peas. It was surprisingly satisfying.

I’m almost embarrassed to say, I might make this again. (Did I say that we really shouldn’t eat it but once or twice a year?)


TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE
8 oz. egg noodles
1 ½ oz. bag of potato chips, crushed
2 Tbsp. butter
½ onion, chopped small
1 stalk celery, chopped small
SAUCE (if you can call it that)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 cup milk
1 7 oz. can tuna, drained
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
½ cup frozen peas
½ tsp. black pepper

1. Sauté the onion and celery in the butter until soft.
2. In a large mixing bowl stir together the sauce ingredients and add the onions and celery.
3. Toss the noodles with the sauce and place in an 8X8 baking dish.
4. Top with crushed potato chips.
5. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 – 30 minutes.
6. Serve as a side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment