Pages

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Pork Chops with Cream of Mushroom Soup

Don’t make that face… it’s a lot better than it sounds.

Back in 1934 the Campbell Company introduced cream of mushroom soup which started the casserole craze that we all crave, but try to avoid. Everyone has a ghastly tuna casserole story that they would like to forget. But, there is one dish that always warrants me having an emergency can of cream of mushroom soup in my pantry and that dish is fried pork chops or chicken smothered in a deliciously easy sauce that makes for a quick one pot meal.


Pork chops generously seasoned with salt and pepper then dusted in flour and shallow fried is the perfect match for a can of cream of mushroom soup thinned out with a can of milk. Most recipes with tell you to bake the pork chops covered for an hour but I disagree because it will only produce overcooked pork chop without the meaty bite that a good pork chop needs. So after I fry up my pork chops to a golden brown I set them aside and make the sauce. When the sauce is at a bubbling boil I add back the pork chops and cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and turn off the stove. Then I let the pork chops sit for about 15 – 20 minutes just to soak up some of the sauciness before serving.

This is what I did to make my yummy cream of mushroom soup pork chops…

I generously seasoned my pork chops with kosher salt and black pepper and dusted them in flour. Then I shallow fried them until they were golden brown and set them aside. They will be pretty much cooked at this point with just a little more heat they will be perfect.

I removed the excess oil with a couple of paper towels that I wadded up and with the help of a tong I dabbed up all the extra grease.

Then I tossed a dozen thickly sliced mushrooms into the dry pan and let them cook until they were lightly browned (just about 2 – 3 minutes).

I pushed the mushrooms to the side of the pan and spooned the soup into the middle of the pan with a can of milk. I stirred the whole mess together and brought it to a boil. Then I placed the pork chops into the sauce and placed a cover on the pan and turned off the heat and let the pork chops sit for about 15 - 20 minutes. This made for a fast and easy meal that was delicious.

Oh there is one more reason that I have a can of cream of mushroom soup in my pantry…

The famous green bean casserole that was developed by Campbell’s back in 1955 that has become a must at our Thanksgiving table. But what else do you do with a can of cream of mushroom soup? Maybe I’ll bring back the soup is sauce craze.

2 comments:

  1. No matter how many things I make from scratch, I always end up with a couple of cans of cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup in my pantry. I often use cr of mushroom for an easy stroganoff, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion Kristen. As I stated in my post, I may have to bring back the soup is sauce craze.

    ReplyDelete