Pages

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Roasted Brussel Sprouts

PRINT RECIPE
You either love brussel sprouts or you don’t, it’s just one of those things.  With technology and information all around us it’s a rarity to see something for the first time that stumps you, especially when you are so familiar with it.
Today when I walked into the grocery store I didn’t expect to run across anything new, just a quick stop to pick up a few odds and ends.  What I discovered as I was scanning the produce shelves was that brussel sprouts grow on a branch or as the cash receipt read “brussel sprout tree”.  I immediately recognizing the brussel sprout’s clinging to this branch but I was very unfamiliar with its presentation.  I stood there in awe staring at this mystery item deciding if I should take one home for dinner. 

I had to have one and felt a bit like Paul Bunyan as I hauled it home. 
After shooting several pictures to record this find, I pulled out my paring knife and started trimming the sprouts off the branch.  It took a lot more effort than grabbing up a basket but I found it rewarding.  In the end I had harvested about 1 ½ pounds of the freshest brussel sprouts that I have ever seen in a variety of sizes.  I cut the big ones in half and left the small ones whole.
To cook them I placed them in a big bowl along with some onions and tossed them with olive oil.  I spread them out on a sheet pan and roasted them in a hot 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.  This is my favorite way to make fresh brussel sprouts. These sprouts are delicious with or without the onions but I like the layer of flavor that the onions bring to this dish.



ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS
1          pound              fresh brussel sprouts
1          large                onion, sliced
1          Tbsp.               olive oil
                                    kosher salt
                                    black pepper

Trim away the loose leaves and the stem if needed.  Leave the small brussel sprouts whole and cut the large ones in half.  Toss brussel sprouts with the onions and olive oil; spread out evenly on a sheet pan.  Roast in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.  Give them a little shake to toss them around and cook them for another 10 minutes.  Remove the brussel sprouts from the oven and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

1 comment:

  1. Brussel sprouts are my favorite and this is EXACTLY the way I make mine (but without the onions). They are so yummy!

    ReplyDelete