Pages

Thursday, December 6, 2018

Yui's Pad See Ew

Yui's Pad See Ew
Warning: These are Addicting!

Once you know how to make this simple one wok dish, you will be making it all the time. Impressing your family, friends and neighbors with your new Thai culinary skills.

What is the magic behind making authentic Pad See Ew?

The answer to that question came to me a couple of years ago on a surprise birthday adventure to Thailand. My husband and daughter arranged an all day cooking class for us in Chiang Mai, where Chef Yui helped demystify Thai cooking. Not all Thai cooking… just some.

Yui’s Pad See Ew is one of my quick go to wok meals and I think it’s time for me to share this recipe and experience with you.

THE COOKING CLASS BEGINS
Meet Yui our chef-host, she is talented and funny. Yui gifted each of us with an authentic Thai experience (in English) and sent us home with the confidence to recreate her dishes back in the US. Thank's Yui!
Yui demo cooked each dish for us, then sent us to our personal stations to make it ourselves.
Time for me to cook. So much FUN!
The class was on her lanai at her home. It was clean and very well organized.


- - - - - - - - ✈🛪✈🛧 - - - Back in the USA...
My Notes to You; 
The most important part of Pad See Ew is...


The NOODLES 

In Hawaii I could get fresh rice noodles in Chinatown. In Oregon the fresh rice noodles (not so fresh) only come refrigerated in 2 pound packages. Sometimes they peel apart easily and sometimes... they don't.

Which brings me to answer the question... 

How do I transform my rice noodle slab into individual strands when buying refrigerated noodles? The answer... it's easier than you think.
My 2 pound slab of noodles.
Cut noodles into 8 slices or to your desired thickness.
Cover with plastic leaving a little vent and microwave for 30 seconds at a time until the noodles are soft enough to peel apart.
This is a true labor of love, but worth it!
I divide the noodles into 4 portions (1/2# each) and place them in zip bags that I either place in the fridge to cook in the next few days or in the freezer to use later. If you are cooking them all at once, this step is not needed.

Cook one serving at a time,
When preparing pad see ew "Don't Crowd The Pan", it is best to make one portion at a time. This ensures that your wok maintains its heat while cooking allowing this simple dish to obtain optimum flavor by caramelizing parts of the noodles.


These are the sauces Yui recommended I get when I got home.
Left to right;
Oyster sauce with the lady on the bottle,
Fish sauce with the 3 crabs on the bottle,
Thin soy sauce and Black soy sauce with the baby on the bottle

Yui's Pad See Ew - one serving

2          Tbsp.          cooking oil
1          clove           garlic, minced
¼         pound         chicken breast, sliced thin
¼         cup             Chinese broccoli, sliced thin – keep leaves and stems separate
1          whole          egg
½         pound         wide rice noodles

SAUCE (per serving)
1          tsp.      palm sugar (brown can be substituted)
1          tsp.      thin soy sauce
1          tsp.      black soy sauce
1          tsp.      fish sauce
2          tsp.      oyster sauce

Pre-measure sauce in small bowls for however many servings you are planning to cook. Remember - cook one serving at a time for optimum flavor.

Let's get cooking!

Add oil to a cold wok with garlic (so the garlic won't burn) and turn on the heat to med-high; cook till fragrant
Add chicken and cook till chicken is slightly white in color
Add broccoli stems and toss with chicken.
Push chicken and stems up to the side of the wok so the center of the wok is empty.

Crack egg into bottom of the wok; break yolk to cook but don’t scramble, just drag the yolk over the whites. You want the whites and yolk to cook separately. When the egg is nearly cooked, rough chop it with your spatula
Add, broccoli leaves, noodles and sauce; toss to mix.
Allow the noodles to sit over the heat to lightly char the noodles; toss and do the same on the other side. This step caramelizes the noodles giving it its distinctive flavor.
That's it! ENJOY!!!

A Lot of Thai is the name of Yui's cooking school and I would highly recommend it if you find yourself in Chiang Mai. Currently (I just checked) Yui’s classes are 1,200baht per person ($36.37us), Ridiculous – Right, just one more reason to take her class if you happen to be in Chiang Mai.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Susan,
    Thank you for sharing this recipe. I've made it a few times already and it's tasty! I've made some slight modifications and have shared the link to your recipe on my blog, mywonglife.com. Hope that's ok! I hope to go to Thailand and take a cooking class one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, nice to meet you :) I'm so happy that you made and enjoyed the pad see ew recipe. Thanks to my husband and daughter I got to check that one off my bucket list.

      Delete