Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Stir Fry Pork and Green Onions

PRINT RECIPE


This recipe dates way back to my Hawaii days and it came about because I had all of the ingredients available, without going to the store.

When I grocery shop I always check to see what’s on sale first and plan my menu around that. I know what cuts of meat I enjoy cooking with so I tend to look in that area and buy some for that week and if it is of good quality and price. I will buy extra for another meal and stick it in the freezer.

Today was one of those days that I was too lazy to go to the grocery store and started thinking about what I had in my freezer and refrigerator that could eventually become dinner.

I had to dig a bit though my recipe “pile” to find this simple Chinese stir fry, but it was worth it. Just a few ingredients make for a satisfying meal. This recipe could easily be made with flank or sirloin steak. But I had sliced pork in my freezer.

STIR FRIED PORK AND GREEN ONIONS
1 pound pork butt or tenderloin, thinly sliced
1 bunch green onions, sliced in to 2” pieces
MARINADE
1 clove garlic, minced
1 ½ tsp. sugar
1 ½ tsp. soy sauce
1 ½ tsp. dry sherry
1 ½ tsp. water
1 Tblsp. cornstarch
FINISHING SAUCE
1 ½ tsp. sugar
2 Tblsp. soy sauce

Helpful Hint: When I make this dish I usually place a small bowl for the finishing sauce and a larger bowl big enough to hold the pork, on the counter to make my sauces for this dish. That way I can measure all the dry ingredients first while my measuring spoons are dry into each container. (sugar & cornstarch)

Helpful Hint: Then I hold the tsp. and ½ tsp. fanned out together so I can fill and measure both at the same time for the wet ingredient. (soy sauce, sherry, water)

Marinate the pork in the marinade for at least an hour but no more than 2 hours.

Heat up a wok untill its screaming hot!!!

Pour in about 2 Tblsp. oil and CAREFULLY add the marinated pork. Spread it out but don’t move it around for a couple of minutes. You want it to brown. Flip it over to brown the other side then toss and turn as needed to brown meat evenly.

Add the green onions and sauce. And continue cooking for another minute or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment