Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Spicy Korean Beef Soup

This is my favorite Korean soup. I ate it at least once a week for 10 years at my local Korean Restaurant until it closed; I was devastated, it was like a drug that I couldn't get anymore. I needed it, but every other Korean restaurant in town didn't make it right, or anywhere near the same.

I was on a mission. I needed to figure out how to recreate this soup. I have done endless research, and have had many unsuccessful attempts until now.

This recipe is as close as I have gotten. If you love spicy then you will love this soup. It takes more time than expertise, but well worth waiting for.

SPICY KOREAN BEEF SOUP
BROTH
8 – 10 cups water
1-1/2   pounds  beef brisket or chuck
1-1/2 pounds  beef shank soup bone or short ribs
SEASON MEAT
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. Korean red pepper powder (koh-choo-kah-roo)
2 Tbsp. Korean red pepper paste (koh-choo jahng)
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
SOUP INGREDIENTS
1 med daikon, peeled and sliced into half-moon shapes
3 oz. dried Korean clear noodles, (available at Asian Grocer)
1 bunch green onions, about 8 -10 roots, cut into 2” legnths
2 eggs, lightly scrambled

BROTH
Wash the brisket and soup bones in cold running tap water. Place in a large pot with cold tap water and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer for 2 hours – skim off impurities as needed.

Remove meat and bones from broth and cool. Slice brisket across the grain and cut into bite size pieces.
Keep broth simmering on low.

MEAT
Season cut meat with garlic, red pepper powder & paste, salt, black pepper, soy sauce and sesame oil. Mix to blend.

ASSEMBLE SOUP
Add peeled and sliced daikon and noodles to the broth and cook for 5 – 8 minutes or until daikon and noodles are tender.

Add seasoned meat; cook for 5 - 10 minutes to heat meat.

Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and slowly pour eggs into the broth while stirring in a slow circular motion to make ribbons of egg.

Add cut and cleaned green onions. Stir to mix.

2 comments:

  1. I randomly came across your website and before I knew it, an hour passed by. :) Love all of your recipes and can't wait to try some of them! May I ask which Korean restaurant you are referring to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cooni44, I'm happy you found me and I look forward to hearing about which recipes you try. The restaurant was called The Plaza - it was an old coffee shop in a strip mall that they turned into a Korean restaurant that was attached to a Rite Aid. Random location with amazing food. I do miss them!

      Delete