Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Baked Fish with Fresh Herbs

PRINT RECIPE

I don't know what got into me today but I was feeling very indecisive.  For example;


When I was at the fish market I couldn’t decide on the salmon, black cod or red snapper so I bought all three.  I had different cooking methods and recipes in mind for each.  That quickly changed when I got to the grocery store and discovered a pack of fresh herbs that were labeled “seafood blend” a combination of thyme, lemon thyme, basil and tarragon.


I contemplated this blend for a moment imagining béarnaise sauce over a steak and not of fish. I began to visualize the flavors of each herb in my head and immediately felt that the tarragon would be too strong for the fish.  But because I was in such an indecisive mood I caved in and tossed it in my basket thinking, “Why would they package this blend if it wasn’t going to be delicious on seafood?”


I should have gone with my first instinct and passed on the tarragon.  It just goes to show that you should never shop when you’re hungry or indecisive. 

The tarragon overpowered the fish and by blending it together with the other herbs, it not only overwhelmed the fish, it also disguised the other herbs as if they were not there.  So don’t get fooled like me.  The next time I make herbed fish, the tarragon will definitely get the axe.

There are so many fresh herbs that work wonderfully with fish.  So keep this list in mind when you are making fish and stay away from tarragon.  Thyme, basil, dill, parsley, chives or oregano but definitely not tarragon.  Mix and match and remember a little goes a long way.

BAKED FISH WITH FRESH HERBS
2 – 3    fillets              salmon, mild firm white fish like halibut, mahi mahi or red snapper
1          Tbsp.               olive oil or butter
1          cloves             garlic, minced
¼         tsp.                  kosher salt
pinch                           black pepper
pinch                           red pepper flakes
                                     fresh herbs, thyme, basil, dill, parsley and chives.
                                     fresh lemon juice

Chop the fresh herbs.

Brush your fish with the olive oil or butter and sprinkle with salt, peppers, garlic and fresh herbs.

Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or until it is cooked through.

Place fish on a serving dish and squeeze with lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment