Pages

Friday, November 26, 2010

Make Your Own Pie Crust Shield

I am grateful for all the wonderful small appliances, gizmos and gadgets I have accumulated over the years. However, I couldn't justify a pie crust shield.

Instead, I origami one out of foil (which I always have) and it works as well as one that I could buy. If they don't get too messy, I wipe them down and stick them in a drawer for the next time I bake a pie. These are handy for pot pies too!

I made mini pies when I shot these pictures but I do it the same way when I make a full size pie.

Place your pie plate upside down  on a foil sheet that is larger than the plate and trace a circle.
 Cut out the inside of the circle. 
 Cutting a 1/2 inch inside the line.  That's were the crust area is.
 Fold in the edges on all four sides.
 I also fold in the corners.
Make sure your shield sits properly over where the crust needs to be shielded.
Place it over your pie when your crust starts getting to dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment