Pages

Friday, November 26, 2010

Lizzy's Pie Crust

PRINT RECIPE
Lizzy is a food blogger that I follow who bakes up the most amazing desserts.  Her blog is, “That skinny chick can bake”.  Which is a true story and pretty much sums it all up.

As I was drooling over her blog I found this pie crust recipe.  I was curious about the baking powder in the mix and did a little research.  Apparently the baking powder makes the crust tender and flaky.  This may be my new pie crust recipe.  Thanks Lizzy.

I also did an experiment with this batch of dough.  Thinking about those who don't have a food processor or pastry cutter.  I'm not sure who thought this one up but it was a good one.  


Instead of cutting the cold butter into small chunks I grated the slightly frozen butter sticks straight  into the flour which made it easy to quickly rub the butter into the dough without the use of any special equipment other than my hands.  It worked perfectly.

LIZZY’S PIE CRUST

2 ½      cups                flour
½         tsp.                  salt
¼         tsp.                  baking powder
2          sticks               butter
4 – 6    Tbsp.               iced water
1          tsp.                  sugar

Place all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix to blend.

Grate or cut the butter into the flour.
Rub the butter into the flour with your hands or a pastry cutter.
Until you get a cornmeal-ly texture.

Add iced water 4 Tbsp. at first then 1 Tbsp. at a time after until your dough just sticks together and you can form into a ball.

Divide into 2 discs.  Wrap with plastic and refrigerate for at least an hour before rolling out.

This recipe will make 2 - 9" pie crust or 6 – 5” mini pie crust if you choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment