Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Chile Verdes

PRINT RECIPE
A man, a can and a plan.  That’s what this recipe is all about.  Las Palmas makes an excellent green enchilada sauce in a can.  Why bother doing more work than you have to.  I had a hankering for chile verde, refried beans and boiled potatoes.  All I can say is that my kitchen smells wonderful.  I could have gone to my favorite taqueria but I felt like cooking and wanted the pleasure of filling my kitchen with the wonderful aromas of a home cooked meal.

Chile verdes is an addiction for me.  I can pretty much pass on most Mexican choices but not the delicious fork tender chunks of pork swimming in a bath of spicy green tomatillo sauce.

I usually wrap my chile verdes up in a large flour tortilla with cheese and potatoes but tonight I decided to simply serve it over potatoes.  The potatoes add a creamy layer to this dish and soak up the sauce immediately to blend together with the pork.

So get those potatoes boiling while you cook up the chile verdes.  Any potato will work but I prefer russet potatoes because they are dryer and flakier which makes them thirsty and ready to soak up the spicy green tomatillo sauce.

Depending on what your spice meter can handle will determine how many serranos you need to add to this dish.  One large serrano chile, seeds and all will give you a mild finish, two will give you a medium spicy, while three will defiantly give you a fiery finish. 

CHILE VERDES

2          pounds            pork butt or shoulder, cubed small
1          tsp.                  kosher salt
¼         tsp.                  black pepper
1          large                onion, chopped small
1 -3      large                serrano chili, minced
2          cloves              garlic, minced
28        ounce can       Las Palmas Green Chile Enchilada Sauce

Cut the pork into small cubes.  Chop onions and mince garlic and Serrano.

Heat a heavy bottom pot over med high heat and add 2 Tbsp. oil.  Brown meat on all sides and season with salt and pepper.

Add onions, garlic and serrano.  Cook until onions are soft and fragrant.

Add green chile sauce; bring to a boil; cover and let simmer for 1 hour or until pork chunks are fork tender.  Uncover and let cook for another 15 minutes to let the sauce thicken.

·         If you are serving this with potaotes, simply chunk up the boiled potatoes into a dish and scoop a saucy portion of chile verdes over it.

1 comment:

  1. Your Chile Verdes recipe was certainly a hit; two of us ate the whole thing; and I had just baked my fiery Jalapeno corn bread which was a perfect match. But I did feel a tad guilty using canned sauce...for two or three minutes anyway.

    ReplyDelete