Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Joe's Special for 2

It was about 30 years ago when I tasted my first Joe’s Special and it happened to be at the Original Joe’s in San Francisco.  Where according to history, that’s where the Joe’s Special was created.   I sat at the counter facing the open kitchen and watched as the waiters and cooks bantered with boundless attitude, back and forth as if they were in a constant argument.  It was quite entertaining watching the seasoned waiters and cooks go at each other so aggressively.  I was in my early 20’s at the time and I have to admit, it was a bit intimidating.  I wasn't sure if it was all for show or if the cooks and waiters were just comfortably rude to each other all the time.  I guess I will never know.

Even though there were endless menu items that I wanted to try.  I stuck to my guns and ordered the Joe’s Special.  Because, as my aunt would say; “When in Rome, do as the Romans do”.  For a brief moment I questioned myself and wondered…  Can I eat eggs for dinner?  The answer was yes.  The combination of seasoned ground beef, onions, mushrooms and spinach blended together with firm, but tender eggs was a satisfying choice.   And every time I eat a Joe’s Special it takes me back to that time and place.  They are closed now but they will live in my memory forever.

I recently read that scrambles have become more popular than omelets.  For me that was a no brainer.  I have always been a huge fan of scrambles.  Omelets have always left a heavy, overly cheezy feeling in my tummy whereas a scramble leaves a lighter, yet, satisfying feeling. 

In my opinion this is definitely a dinner scramble because it is so hearty.   Three to four large eggs will generously feed two.  A sprinkling of parmesan cheese would also be a nice touch.

This dish works well with a crusty slice of sour dough bread and a crisp green salad.  But, if you are from Hawaii, you know that you will be eating this with rice.
A few simple ingredients make a meal.
Brown the beef with the onions and garlic.
Add mushrooms.
Add spinach.
Add eggs and cook until firm but still tender.


JOES SPECIAL for Two
¼             pound                   ground beef
¼             tsp.                        kosher salt
¼             tsp.                        black pepper
½             tsp.                        dried basil or oregano
3              large                      eggs
¼             cup                         onions, chopped
1              clove                     garlic, minced
4              whole                   mushrooms, sliced
1 ½         cups                       fresh spinach, a good handful

Season the ground beef with salt, pepper and basil or oregano.

Heat a skillet over med-high heat and add 1 Tbsp. oil.  Brown beef until almost brown; add onions and garlic; cook until onions are soft.  Add mushrooms and cook until soft.  Add spinach and cook until just wilted.  Pour in the beaten eggs and stir until eggs are firm but still tender.

PRINT PAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment