Pages

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Broccolette

Broccoli's relative?  One we like or don't like?  
Hummm, only one way to find out...
Have you seen this product on your grocers shelf?
This was a new one for me.
  When I spotted it.  I quietly asked myself, "What the heck is broccolette? 
The package read "A sweet and tender relative of broccoli".  A relative?
I guess we are marketing our vegetables through relations these days, 
what happened to individuality?
Was this a good thing or a bad thing?

Out of curiosity I bought a bag.  
For insurance, I bought some broccoli too.  
I must admit that I can be a bit suspicious of new found vegetables that I have never heard of, 
but I'm usually willing to try it at least once and I'm glad I did.
Dang!  Broccolette rocks!  I actually like it better than broccoli.  Especially when its roasted.  I say this because that's the only way I have made it so far.  Broccolette is a cross between broccoli and gai lan (Chinese broccoli) even though it is neither and in my opinion can be substituted for either.

Broccolette cooks up tender and has a naturally sweet flavor.  It was so good that I didn't realize that I had "taste tested" almost half (of a two pound bag) before serving it to my family.  So, if you see broccolette, give it a try.

ROAST VEGETABLES

  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  • Spread vegetables on a sheet pan and sprinkle with kosher salt and black pepper.  Drizzle with oil and toss to mix.  
  • Cook for 20 - 30 min, or until they are wilted and golden brown on the edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment