Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

How long do you cook sweet potatoes and yams?

20 - 30 min.
Yams and sweet potatoes, as well as regular potatoes take about 20 - 30 minutes to steam (when using whole potatoes) .  When I say steam, I'm referring to the potatoes being over boiling water versus in the water itself.
This was a really good question and I thought I should share it because even though it seems simple - which it is, it needed an answer.

This is my favorite pot.  It was one of the first pots I ever owned.  It's the perfect size, versatile and came with a steamer insert, that I use all the time.
3 quart Revere Ware
When I cook yams or sweet potatoes I prefer to steam them, because in my opinion, they get too watery when boiled.

Make sure you have plenty of water in the bottom pot and check it to make sure it doesn't dry out.  Set your timer for 20 minutes and poke it with a knife or skewer.  If the knife goes in easily it's done.  If it doesn't, cook it for 5 - 10 more minutes or until you can pierce it all the way through.

Another option is to bake them in a 350 degree oven for 45 min. to an hour, but steaming is faster.

More Steamed Veggies

12 comments:

  1. im trying to find out how long do I bake yams I boiled themfor 20 minutes now I want to bake withbrown and marshmellows how long should I bake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would suggest 350 degrees for 20 - 30 min (yams, butter, brown sugar). Then top with marshmallows and turn up your oven to 400 degrees for another 10 min. Cook until marshmallows are puffy and brown.
      Merry Christmas!!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks! I'm cooking up some Moloka'i sweet potatoes today and was considering boiling or roasting them. Glad I found your steaming guidelines! They're in the steamer right now. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natashalh -YUMMMMMMM I wish I had some Moloka'i sweet potatoe :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks, this will be my first time of steaming with an upturned saucer in the bottom of a saucepan! Wanted to steam them whole, like you say. Baked is almost too sweet and boiled too thin somehow. Will have to watch water level tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother always used the upturned saucer method to steam :) and yes, keep an eye on the water level. Happy Steaming!

      Delete
  4. Cut into half inch rounds I steam Japanese sweet potatoes in 10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexander,
      Thank you for sharing. Yes, Cutting the potatoes will cut the cooking time in half 10-15 min. depending on how fat the potatoes are. Happy Steaming!

      Delete
  5. Have you every tried steaming 5 lbs of sweet potatoes or 5 lbs of regular potatoes using a 5.5 Qt. Stainless Steel Chinese Colander is you steamer basket, 12 quart stockpot with 3 inches of water and use aluminium foil as a cover lid for the stockpot. Setting the kitchen timer for 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not, but I think it will work. Let me know how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I steamed 5-lbs using 5.5 Qt. Stainless Steel Chinese Colander is you steamer basket, 12 quart stockpot with 3 inches of water and use aluminium foil as a cover lid for the stockpot. Setting the kitchen timer for 30 minutes. Times up. Turn off stove. And use a cake tester to test for tenderness of the sweet potatos. Then, I remove those tender sweet potatoes and leave that are not so tender to remain in the Chinese Colander and re-use the aluminium foil as a cover lid for the stockpot and time for additional minutes ex 15 minutes. After 15 minutes use the cake tester to check for tenderness and remove the sweet potatoes. The sweet potatoes turn out perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info., BTW what did you use the 5-lbs of sweet potatoes for?

      Delete