Pages

Monday, January 13, 2020

Dave’s Slow Cooker Roast Chicken

My friend Dave loves his slow cooker and this is one of his no fail recipes for flavorful fall off the bone chicken that needs very little attention from start to finish.

Being the minimalist cook that I am, I must admit that I was a bit intimidated by the list of 10 herbs and spices that made up the seasoning mix. But after a closer look at the ingredient list I realized that I had 9 of the 10 ingredients already in my spice drawer. The spice that was absent was the savory and I swapped it out with sage because that’s what I had and it worked perfectly.

Dave and I cooked this together in his slow cooker and it was DELICIOUS. However, I wanted to get a brown crispy skin so I cooked mine in the oven and I was quite happy with the results.


Dave’s Slow Cooker Roast Chicken

1 Roasting Chicken, about 5 pounds

Seasoning Mix
1 Tbsp. Kosher salt
2 tsp. paprika
1 1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. savory or sage

Stuffing – this can be done a day ahead
2 Tbsp. Butter
2 cups onion, chopped
1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
3 Tbsp. seasoning mix

GRAVY
1/4 cup flour
1 cup or more chicken stock

~ OR ~

BEANS, side dish
4 cups of cooked beans or 2 cans (pinto, kidney, navy or a combo)
1 1/2 cups chicken broth or 1 can (14 oz)

INSTRUCTIONS

Combine seasoning mix.

Melt butter over med-high heat in a skillet. When butter starts to sizzle add chopped onions and peppers and cook for a couple of min. or until fragrant. Add 3 Tbsp. seasoning mix and cook until onions are golden brown; cool.

Stuff chicken cavity with cooled vegetables. Sprinkle outside of chicken with remaining seasoning mix and rub in well.

~ if adding beans – place the beans on the bottom of the slow cooker with chicken broth.

Place chicken in the slow cooker, cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.

Empty stuffing and juices into saucepan. Whisk in flour and 1 cup of stock. Cook over high heat until thickened. Add more stock to thin gravy if preferred.

Optional – Place chicken under the broiler to brown the skin.

~ You don’t need to thicken the beans. Just empty the stuffing on to the beans and mix. They are fantastic!

I prefer my oven to my slow cooker.
So here are instructions if you want to cook your chicken in the oven;

Follow the same instructions above, but put the ingredients in a Dutch oven or large casserole and COVER with lid or foil.

Roast COVERED in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.
UNCOVER and turn up heat to 450 degrees for about 30 min. or until the skin is golden brown. Baste chicken with pan drippings halfway through the browning.


No comments:

Post a Comment