Pages

Monday, March 1, 2010

Picnic Pork Roast with Balsamic Vinegar

PRINT RECIPE


I made this up last night because I had a couple of pieces of well trimmed picnic pork that was on sale at the grocer. I wasn’t sure what I was planning to do with it but it looked great and the price was right. I was determined to use balsamic vinegar which I have in my pantry and never seem to use it unless I am either grilling veggies or making vinaigrette for a salad. So I surfed the internet and found several recipes using balsamic vinegar but not for this particular cut of meat. So I got creative and made up my own version.

It wasn’t something that I would repeat in its exact form but I did learn a lot.
1. Well trimmed picnic pork is uncured ham which means that the meat was moist and juicy without being fatty. I would use this cut for roast pork instead of pork butt.
2. It took 2 hours to cook but I started early so that wasn’t a big problem.
3. The potatoes were fantastic without any greasy-ness and the onions cooked down with the vinegar to make a wonderfully light sauce.
4. The things that I would change;
• Cut back on the vinegar to 2 Tblsp.
• Add about 2 Tblsp. Dijon mustard, to give it a bit more balance.
• Cook covered for 1 hour and 1 hour uncovered basting every 15 min. during the last hour.
• It certainly had potential, but lacked balance. I will work on it.

PICNIC PORK ROAST WITH BALASMIC VINEGAR

3 ½ pounds picnic pork, well trimmed
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 large onion, thinly sliced
3 whole red skin potatoes, cut in ½

MARINADE:
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup honey
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. black pepper


Place all the marinade ingredients in a large zip top bag and mix well. Add pork and let sit in the marinade for about an hour.

In a dutch oven or oven proof casserole place the sliced onions evenly on the bottom, add the potatoes around the edge, and place the pork in the middle. Pour all of the marinade from the bag over the potatoes and pork. Place the 3 whole sprigs of fresh rosemary on the pork. Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours. Uncover and cook for another 30 minutes.


MORE PORK RECIPES

OVEN KALUA PORK

PORK BULGOGI

PAN FRIED PORK CHOPS WITH GRAVY

STIR FRY PORK AND GREEN ONIONS

PORK & POTATOES WITH SAUERKRAUT

SWEET & SOUR SPARE RIBS

BREADED PORK CUTLETS

KAU YUK

1 comment:

  1. That picture is amazing. Those potatoes look like my dream come true.

    ReplyDelete