Pages

Friday, April 16, 2010

Japanese Egg Sheets (Obento Sheet)

PRINT RECIPE


I have been making this crepe like egg sheets for years and my family loves them. I roll them up after they have cooled and cut them into long thin strips that resemble noodles. I made them to garnish my Somen Salad, a refreshing noodle and veggie salad with a flavorful sesame vinaigrette.

I did some research and found this “how to make an egg sheet” blog page. It describes the process perfectly. She uses cornstarch, I don’t. That’s the big difference. She does make a good point that it will make a stronger egg sheet. I suggest if you haven’t made these before, go to the link below.
http://www.annathered.com/2008/11/16/how-to-make-an-egg-sheet/
JAPANESE EGG SHEET (Obento Sheet)
1 tsp. cooking oil
1 large egg
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. sugar
To make them you simply heat an 8” nonstick frying pan on med-low heat. Add about 1 – 2 tsp. of oil. Scramble the egg with salt and sugar. Pour the egg in the pan and spread the egg out by moving the pan in a circular motion. When the egg is almost cooked and firm enough to flip take a spatula and gently slide it under the egg sheet and flip. Remove from pan and cool on a dry paper towel to absorb oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment