I love simple food and this dish is as simple as it gets. Clean fresh flavors of ahi steak quickly pan fried with a sesame seed crust - makes for a quick and healthy dinner.
For my personal taste, I cook the fish for no more than two minutes per side to keep the center rare. If you prefer a more cooked center, cook for 3 – 4 minutes per side. Don’t over cook this fish or it will dry out.
2 8 oz. ahi steaks
1 tsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. olive oil, for frying
2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the ahi steaks on a plate and place ½ tsp. of olive oil on each steak. Spread out to coat evenly.
- Put 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds on one side of each steak and spread out to the edges.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap over steaks and gently press the sesame seeds into the steak. Remove plastic.
- In a skillet heated on med-high. Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Carefully place the steaks seeded side down into the pan. Season the other side with salt and pepper.
- Let steaks cook for 2 minutes on each side for med-rare. 3 minutes for med. Don’t over cook this fish or it will become dry.
- Serve with Kono's wasabi ginger mayo.
Kono's WASABI GINGER MAYO
1 tsp. wasabi paste, more if you like it spicy
½ tsp. ginger, grated or chopped fine
1 tsp. green onion, chopped fine
2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
Mix all ingredients together and serve on the side with the fish.