Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Shoyu Poke

PRINT RECIPE


I love poke!!!

Fresh tuna (ahi) cut into bite sized pieces and seasoned with a soy flavored sauce and sweet Maui onions.

When I go back to Hawaii, this is the first thing that I track down and eat. You can find poki everywhere including Safeway and Costco. But it’s not about the quantity, it’s all about the quality, especially when you are eating raw fish.

I have no plans to visit the islands anytime soon and I couldn't shake the craving. So, I visited my local fish monger and “VoilĂ ” a beautiful piece of fresh ahi was there waiting to become mainland poke. Look for the bright red yellow tail (fin) sashimi grade tuna. It will be more expensive, but worth every bite.

This recipe calls for 1 pound of ahi. I make a ½ pound at a time and use ½ the sauce. The sauce will keep in the fridge until my next craving, which will probably be tomorrow. The sauce actually gets better the second day after the flavors have a chance to meld together.

SHOYU POKI
1 pound fresh sashimi grade ahi
1 slice sweet onion
Sauce
1 small chili pepper, or 1/8 tsp. crushed red chili pepper
1 tsp. ginger, minced
¼ cup green onions, chopped small
3 Tbsp. Kikkoman soy sauce
2 Tbsp. water
2 tsp. sesame oil

*If you don’t want your sauce to be too spicy, remove the seeds from the chili pepper. I used a Thai chili pepper and like it spicy so I left in the seeds.
*I always use Kikkoman soy sauce because it is easily available and I add water to lighten the flavor. If you are using Aloha shoyu, omit the water.
Cut ahi into bite size pieces and place in a bowl.
Mix all the ingredients together and pour over ahi and mix.
Marinate the ahi for a couple of hours in the fridge before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Guess what we found at the local fish market? And guess what we made? This stuff is habit-forming! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete