Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Spicy Chorizo Spanish Rice

PRINT RECIPE

Spicy Chorizo Spanish Rice can stand on its own, or be an amazing side dish.  Its packed with all the right flavors that come together perfectly in this dish with just enough kick from the serrano and chorizo to wake up your mouth.
I always have a variety of rice in my pantry with long grain as one of them.  When I went to check out my supply I found that I only had about ¾ of a cup.  So I had to substitute the other 1 ¼ cups of rice with basmati.  I figured that it would be a good sub because it was also a long grain rice.  This decision added yet another layer of flavor with its sweet fragrance.  I think I may use a blend of basmati and long grain the next time I make this dish.
I am serving this as a side dish with a Mojo marinated skirt steak.  Now that my rice is done I need to fire up the bbq to complete this meal.

CHORIZO SPANISH RICE               

1              pound                   chorizo sausage, casing removed
1              clove                     garlic, minced
1              med                      onion, chopped small
½                                          green bell pepper, chopped small
1              large                      Serrano chili, minced
2             cups                       long grain rice
14           ounce                     chicken broth
8             ounce                     tomato sauce
1 ¼         cups                       water
¼            tsp.                        kosher salt
¼            tsp.                        black pepper
½            cup                        green onions, sliced thin

Brown the sausage. 
Add the onions, green peppers, garlic, and serrano. 
Cook until the vegetable are soft and fragrant. 
Add the rice and stir to mix. 
Add the chicken broth, tomato sauce, water, salt and pepper.  Stir to mix.
Over med low heat bring to a boil, then cover and let cook for 20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
Turn off heat and allow the rice to rest for 15 minutes covered.  Don’t peek.
Remove cover after resting period; add green onions and fluff.

No comments:

Post a Comment