Pages

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Kimchi Pork

Kimchi pork is one of my favorite Korean one pot… or should I say one wok meals.  There is no mystery to this dish.  The title describes it perfectly, kimchi and pork.

I always have a jar of kimchi in my fridge and more often than not, it becomes an over ripe jar of kimchi, which is exactly what is needed to make kimchi pork (it’s not good with fresh kimchi).  So maybe, subconsciously, I get a big jar of kimchi so that I will eventually have ripe kimchi in my fridge for this exact dish.

I could eat kimchi pork once a week and never get tired of it.  The simple pungent flavors of ripe kimchi tossed together with tender marinated sliced pork, garlic and green onions.  All brought together with the heat of the spicy kimchi sauce is to me the perfect throw together dinner anytime.  This dish screams for a bowl of hot rice and that’s all, because the kimchi is already in the dish.

To make this dish spicier, simply add more Korean hot pepper flakes.  Spicy Tofu makes for a great side dish that is a delicious compliment to the kimchi pork.

KIMCHI PORK
3/4       pound              pork butt, sliced thin
2          Tbsp.               soy sauce
1          Tbsp.               cornstarch
1/2       tsp.                  Korean hot pepper flakes
2          Tbsp.               oil
2          cups                ripe kimchi, with sauce
3          cloves              garlic, sliced thin
1          bunch              green onion, cut into 2” pieces
1/2       cup                  water
1/2       tsp.                  kosher salt
1/4        tsp.                 black pepper

Marinate the pork in the soy sauce, cornstarch and hot pepper flakes for 15 minutes.
Heat a wok on high; add 2 Tbsp. oil and stir fry the pork until browned.

Add garlic and stir to mix.

Add kim chee and stir to mix.

Add ½ cup water and green onions and stir to mix.

Bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper.  Serve with a bowl of steamed white rice.


1 comment:

  1. Susan - I LOVE Kimchi!! I will definitely try this and your suggestion with spicy tofu sounds awesome, too! Thanks for the great recipe!!

    -Veronica

    ReplyDelete