Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

Box Brownie Cookies

Seriously, how many ways can you change up box brownies?  Well, here’s one more idea.


My daughter informed me that she was eating the last chocolate chip cookie.  This meant that it was time to bake up a new batch of cookies to replenish the now depleted cookie supply.

I was reading through a recipe for double chocolate chunk cookies fully intending to make them when all of a sudden I got this idea to make cookies out of a box brownie mix.  The mix already had chocolate chips in it so the idea of a double chocolate cookie was a possibility.

I was thinking that the dough would need a little more body so I added a cup of flour to the mix along with an extra egg and I was quite pleased with the outcome.  The mix produced a brownie that clearly looked like a cookie but the edges were airy rather than crispy.  I baked them for a short 8 minutes which left the center soft and chewy giving it a fudgy middle.

After we all ate our share of the experiment I froze the rest of the cookies in a zip top bag as I always do.  Freezing the cookies made them better due to the airiness of the cookie that kept them from getting too hard when frozen.  It tasted more like biting into a cold piece of fudge that wasn’t going to melt rather than a cookie.

I have been freezing cookies and bars for years so that I always have a variety of sweet treats ready anytime.  My family never looks for a cookie jar they just go straight to the freezer. 

I’m not sure if it was out of laziness or preference that my family started eating them straight from the freezer.  What I do know is that a fresh frozen cookie that is laced with chocolate is an amazing treat straight from the freezer.


BOX BROWNIE COOKIES

1          box      brownie mix
1          cup      flour
1/3       cup      water
1/3       cup      oil
2          large    eggs

Place brownie mix in a mixing bowl and add flour; stir to mix. 

Add the rest of the ingredients and mix till just blended.

Chill for at least 15 minutes.

Place one heaping Tablespoon of dough on the cookie sheet for each cookie and bake in a 350 degree oven for 8 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment