Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Grated Potato Meatloaf

PRINT PAGE
I’m calling this a grated meatloaf.

Why? Because I usually chop the onions and garlic and sauté them until they are soft, then add them to my meatloaf. Tonight I had a lone medium sized russet potato on my counter and decided to add it to my meatloaf instead of bread crumbs.

I needed to incorporate the potato into the meatloaf so that it would be there in a non-existent way like bread crumbs.  I decided to grate the potatoes with a micro-plane grater, along with the onion and garlic. The grated potato resembled Parmesan cheese and scattered itself evenly throughout the meatloaf.

Then end result was a deliciously moist and tender meatloaf, that cut beautifully after a short rest period of 15 minutes.


My husband said that he preferred the potato option to the bread crumbs as it gave the meatloaf a more delicate texture.

Trick: Save your stale bread to place around your meatloaf (if you use bread ends place the bread cut side down). It will absorb the grease and moisture that the meatloaf releases as it cooks. Then all you have to do is pick up the bread pieces and toss them out with all the junk that it has absorbed leaving you with a delicious meatloaf that’s not swimming around in a pool of fatty liquid.


GRATED POTATO MEATLOAF
3 pounds ground beef
½ med onion, grated
1 clove garlic, grated
1 med potato, grated
1 tsp. kosher salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
½ cup milk
1 large egg
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. ketchup

Grate the onion, garlic and potato in a large bowl. Add salt, pepper, milk, egg and Worcestershire sauce. Mix to blend. Add ground beef and mix to distribute ingredients evenly.

Shape into a log and place in a 9 X13” baking dish.*optional – place bread around meatloaf to absorb oil from meat loaf as it cooks.

Smear ketchup over the top of the meatloaf and bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

BROWN GRAVY
2 Tbsp. oil
½ med. onion, chopped small
1 clove garlic, minced
½ cup flour
2 Tbsp. ketchup
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire
1 14oz. can chicken broth
1 14oz. can beef broth
½ tsp. sugar
2 tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. black pepper

Cook onions and garlic in the oil over low heat until very soft. Add the flour and blend to mix well with the onions. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring the heat up to med high. Whisk until it comes to a boil and thickens.

2 comments:

  1. I am searching for a grated potato meat loaf recipe because that is how my grandma always made it but no one ever got the recipe from her... I need to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clumsyraine, I can't wait to hear how your meatloaf turns out. I hope it is close to your grandmothers. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete