Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Homemade Apple Sauce

PRINT PAGE

I have always bought apple sauce and never thought to make it until tonight. Appropriate since my husband was making a roast pork for dinner. I had two large granny smith apples and a Fuji sitting on the counter and that’s when I got online and started searching out a recipe. I found several that were pretty much the same. After reading the comments, I made a few adjustments and came up with the best apple sauce ever.


I would make this again with exactly the same type of apples because the granny smiths and Fuji give off very little liquid which resulted in a thick full bodied apple sauce. This combination had a nice consistency as well as the right amount of sweet. If you use all sweet apples you will need to cut back on the sugar.

Mindless pleasures are so satisfying and apple sauce is one of those comfort foods that no one thinks to make. Yet it is so simple. With summer right around the corner I will probably never buy apple sauce again. It was easy to make and simply delicious.

HOMEMADE APPLE SAUCE
2 med. Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped (about 2 cups)
2 med. Fuji apples, peeled, cored and chopped (about 2 cups)
¼ cup sugar
½ cup water
¼ tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. lemon juice

Place all the ingredients in a pot. Cover and cook over med low heat for 30 minutes or until apples are soft. Mash with a potato masher.

No comments:

Post a Comment