Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Baby Bok Choi with White Sauce

Traditionally everyone tells you to get your wok smoking hot to cook any stir fry.  Well I think that Jaden from Steamy Kitchen has busted that myth.

I learned a wonderful trick from her blog about how to cook Chinese vegetables without burning the garlic and ginger, which usually results in a bitter taste.  Her fix is
to start with a cold pan allowing the oil to slowly heat along with the ginger and garlic.  Slowly infusing the oil with its yummy pungent flavors.  Then when the heat gets rolling you add your veggies.  Tossing them quickly, allowing them to get evenly coated in the infused oil. 

This is an excellent way to cook veggies in general.

I finished my baby bok choi with a simple Chinese white sauce to give it a saucy finish.  This sauce can be used for any Chinese inspired seafood, chicken or vegetable stir fry dish.  Broccoli and cauliflower would also be delicious cooked this way.  You will just need to cook it a little longer (about 4 - 5 min.).

BABY BOK CHOI with WHITE SAUCE
1          pound              baby bok choi or Chinese leafy green
1          clove               garlic, minced
1          tsp.                  ginger, minced
2          Tbsp.               oil
WHITE SAUCE
½         cup                  water
½         tsp.                  kosher salt
1          tsp.                  sugar
2          tsp.                  cornstarch
1          tsp.                  dry sherry
¼         tsp.                  sesame oil

Mix sauce ingredients together and set aside.

Trim bottoms of bok choi and rinse under cold running water.  Set in colander to drain. 

In a COLD wok or pan place oil along with minced garlic and ginger.  Place wok over med high heat.  Let ginger and garlic slowly sizzle and flavor the oil.  When the ginger and garlic become fragrant and golden add bok choi and stir to coat with flavored oil.
Stir white sauce to blend and pour into wok. 
Toss around with bok choi until sauce turns from white to translucent.  
Your vegetables should be cooked when that happens.


 POACHED SALMON CHINESE STYLE






9 comments:

  1. Hey thanks for the tip about timing the garlic and veggies. I will do this from now on.

    The Bok Choi looks soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I love bok choi! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made the Bok choi last night & added shrimp LOVED it, doubled the sauce and made rice - Great quick dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's the difference between kosher salt and normal salt? Will normal salt work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi RoHa,
      Table (normal) Salt is fine and uniform and in my opinion a lot more salty. It can be use as a substitute for Kosher by cutting the amount by half.

      I prefer and use Kosher Salt for all my cooking. I usually use Morton's Coarse Kosher Salt, I mention this because not all Kosher salts have equal amounts of saltiness. Kosher salt has larger flakes with a cleaner flavor and less chance to over salt. Once you find a brand you like, you will know exactly how to cook with it.

      Delete
  5. Thanks. I've recently found out that Kosher salt is just ordinary cooking salt. Nothing special about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, just curious, I saw that in other recipies they used broth to make the white sauce. Is it common to have broth in the sauce or without in restaurants? I am not Chinese nor Asian but I miss eating the bok choy stirfry from restaurants in my home town and want to make it myself this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lanae,
      I don't think it is necessary to use broth, my family enjoys it without. However, with that said, everyone has their own personal taste. I suggest you make it as written, then make changes to your taste after that. Happy cooking!

      Delete