Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Roasted Beets & Parsnips with Orange Vinaigrette

My husband and I saw some beautiful beets and parsnips at the farmers market and that's how these two root veggies became one dish.
I usually wouldn't recommend mixing a naturally bleeding red vegetable with a white one, but they both looked so fresh, which made it impossible to choose, so I got them both.


My fix was to deal with them separately, but yet together.  By placing them in separate bowls to season.

Then separatley on the sheet pan to roast.

I roasted them as I do with so many of my vegetables (thank's Ina), then drizzled them with a light vinaigrette made up of orange juice and red wine vinegar.  I clipped a couple stems of thyme from my newly acquired herb pot and added it to the mix before roasting.  Oven roasted veggies are a smash hit once again.

Small and medium are relative to who is judging.  In my opinion the beets that I use were small, not baby.  the same applies to the parsnips, which were about 6 inches long and evenly shaped.

ROASTED FRESH BEETS & PARSNIPS with ORANGE VINAIGRETTE
6      small    fresh beets, peeled & quartered
6     small     parsnips, peeled
1     tsp.       fresh thyme, roughly chopped
2     Tblsp.   olive oil
                    kosher salt and black pepper
1     Tblsp.   red wine vinegar
2     Tbsp.    orange juice

Peel and cut beets and parsnips and place in separate bowls (to prevent the beets from bleeding on to the parsnips).

Drizzle 1 Tbsp.oil over each vegetable, 1/2 tsp. thyme and a good pinch of salt and pepper.

Place on a sheet pan separately and roast in a 400 degree oven for 30 - 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Turning or shaking the pan after 15 minutes.

Remove from the oven and immediately toss with vinegar and orange juice.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve warm.  These are also good cold.

2 comments: