Pages

Monday, December 16, 2019

Chinese Sweet and Sour Pork with Sin Choy

In the photo I used thin sliced pork shoulder

This recipe takes me back to my childhood. I would order the pork with sin choi when my mom took me out for Chinese. I loved that sweet, sour crunchy flavor of the mustard cabbage and the tender slices of meat. This along with a bowl of rice was all I needed to feel completely satisfied.


My notes to you…
·         I used Tiffany Brand preserved sour mustard cabbage that came in a 17.5 oz. bag from Taiwan. It is as the name states “sour” so make sure you rinse it well. I cut it up, then rinsed it 2 or 3 times before letting it drain in a colander. You can also rinse it whole then cut it.

·         Depending on how sour your cabbage is, will determine how much sugar to use. In the recipe I have written 1/4 cup and up to 1/3 cup (1/3 cup is 4 tsp. more than ¼ cup) ADD all, some or no extra sugar depending on your desired taste.

·         I used seasoned rice vinegar because that’s what I had, but it’s not necessary.

·         Marinate the pork for at least 15min. I have marinated for up to 2 hours and didn’t feel that it was too long.

·         I usually use ½ pound of pork. If you prefer a meatier version you can use up to a pound of meat and not make any adjustments to the amount of marinade.

·         Another option to pork is flank steak sliced thin across the grain.

·         When you add your meat to the hot pan, spread it out and let it sit without tossing for about 1 to 1 ½ min. This will give the meat a nice char (which = flavor). Toss and allow the other side of the meat to cook in the same way.


Chinese Sweet and Sour Pork with Sin Choy

½ - 1   pound            pork shoulder, belly or flank - sliced thin
1          bag                  Preserved Sour Mustard Cabbage (17.5oz) about 3 cups

Marinade
1          slice                ginger, minced
1          slice                garlic, minced
1 ½     tsp.                  Kikkoman soy sauce
1 ½     tsp.                  oyster sauce
1 ½     tsp.                  dry sherry
1 ½     tsp.                  water
¼        tsp.                  chili garlic sauce
½        tsp.                  cornstarch
½        tsp.                  sesame oil


Sauce
1/3      cup                  rice vinegar (I used seasoned, because that’s what I had)
¼        cup                  sugar or up to 1/3 cup for a sweeter flavor (see note above)
2          slices              ginger, minced (2tsp)
1          Tbsp.               Kikkoman soy sauce
½        tsp.                  kosher salt
1          Tbsp.               cornstarch
2/3      cup                  water

Slice pork and marinate for at least 15 min. I have let mine marinate for up to 2 hours.

Cut mustard cabbage into 1 – 1 ½ inch pieces and rinse 2-3 times, then drain in a colander.

Mix sauce ingredients and set aside.

In a wok or skillet over high heat, brown meat in 2 Tbsp. oil for about 2-3 min.
*** when you add your meat to the hot pan, spread it out and let sit without turning for about 1- 1 ½  min. this will give the meat a nice char. Toss and allow the other side of the meat to cook in the same way.

Add sin choi and stir fry with meat for about 2-3 min.

Stir sauce to dissolve cornstarch and pour over meat. Bring to a boil and stir until sauce thickens.





3 comments:

  1. Thank you I've been looking for this recipe. My Popo used to make this from scratch which she showed me how to prepare the cabbage, its very delicious. Mahalo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in Hawaii too and used to love this when I was a kid, it was my fave at all the Chinese restaurants along with lemon chicken. I actually haven’t been able to find it anywhere when I go back. I look forward to making it at home!

    ReplyDelete