Pages

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Layered Pumpkin Custard Pie 2012

Putting these two pies together in layers is genius.  It's hard to explain what goes on in your mouth when you bite into this pie.  It's completely different than taking a bite of a pumpkin pie and then a bite of custard pie at the same time.  Layering changes things, the custard gives the pie a light mouth feel and the pumpkin is where the flavor is.

This pie is my nemesis.  I have mastered the pumpkin and the custard pie, so that’s not the issue.  It’s the layering that’s challenging me.  It took me 3 years to get it right, not because it’s rocket science.  It’s because I only make pumpkin pie once a year.  So I guess I should say it took me 3 tries instead of years…

This is the run down;

Last years attempt.
  • The first year - when I added the custard over the pumpkin it just blended into the pumpkin, creating a light and custardy pumpkin pie without any separation. Tasty, but not what I was shooting for.
  • Last year I made mini pies thinking that if I mess it up, it would only be a mini pie.  I was premature when adding the custard and ended up with a bit of separation that looked more like a marbled pie rather than layered.
  • This year I nailed it! After reading my notes from the years before - I realized that all I was missing was patience.  The pumpkin layer needed an extra 5 minutes to set before adding the custard.  Dang, I guess the rushed holiday season is not the best time to test a recipe.  Oh well, next year I can do it with ease.

I made a shopping list because I split the recipe which gets confusing but is the perfect amount to make one pie.

SHOPPING LIST/what you will need for both layers
3              large               eggs
½             cup                 sugar
½             tsp.                 salt (you will need less)
1              12oz. can        Carnation evaporated milk
½             cup                 milk
1              15oz. can         pumpkin puree
½             tsp.                  vanilla
½             tsp.                  cinnamon
¼             tsp.                  ginger
1/8           tsp.                  cloves
Pinch                               nutmeg


LAYERED PUMPKIN CUSTARD PIE
Make one 9” pie crust.

PUMPKIN LAYER                              CUSTARD LAYER
1
large
egg

2
large
eggs
¼
cup
sugar

¼
cup
sugar
¼
tsp.
salt

1/8
tsp.
salt
¾
cup
Carnation evaporated milk

¾
cup
Carnation evaporated milk
½
tsp
cinnamon

½
cup
milk
¼
tsp.
ginger

½
tsp.
vanilla
1/8
tsp.
cloves

Pinch

nutmeg
1
cup
pumpkin puree





Preheat oven to 425 degrees and set the rack in the center.

Place two bowl side by side with the recipe.  Add the listed ingredients into each bowl and mix.
Pour the pumpkin layer into the pie shell and bake for 20 minutes.
Gently pour custard over pumpkin and lower heat to 350 degrees.  Bake for another 30 minutes or until a small knife or wooden skewer comes out clean.
Let cool to room temperature before cutting.  I like my pie cold, so after it gets to room temp.  place it in the fridge until ready to serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment