Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Broccoli Salad

I’m not sure, but I think this salad may be older than me, yet so fresh.

It’s one of those tried and true comfort foods that my family and friends always enjoy.  I don’t know how it got pushed so far back into the recipe box and almost forgotten.  I suppose that its due to the fact that there are too many recipes and not enough time! Well... lets dust it off and bring it back to the table. 

My notes to you...

Ham or Bacon?
This salad is usually made with bacon and I will use bacon if I’m planning to eat it right away or know that there won’t be any leftovers.  Otherwise, I use ham.  I have nothing against bacon.  As a matter of fact, I love bacon, but I don’t like soggy rubbery bacon and that’s what happens to the bacon as it sits in this salad. With that said; add your bacon just before serving.

Broccoli
I wash and spin the broccoli in a salad spinner, place it on a paper towel in a bowl and keep it in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight. This step crisps the broccoli and dries it out so it will soak up the dressing better.

Craisins
I pour hot water over the craisins and let it sit for about 5 min. to re-hydrate them. Drain them and put them in the fridge to chill.

*Sometimes baby tomatoes are huge if that happens, cut them in half.

BROCCOLI SALAD
printable recipe

2 - 3     large               heads of broccoli
1          pint                  baby tomatoes
12        pieces             bacon, cooked crispy and sliced or crumbled
                                    or
1          cup                  ham, diced
1/3       cup                  dry roasted sunflower seeds
½         cup                  craisins

DRESSING
1          cup      mayonnaise
¼         cup      sugar
2          Tbsp.   red wine vinegar

Mix dressing and set aside.  Cut broccoli into bite sized florets and place in a bowl; add tomatoes, sunflower seeds and raisins.  If using ham add it now.  If using bacon, don’t add it until you are ready to serve. Toss everything together with the dressing and refrigerate for at least an hour or until ready to serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment