Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

Quick Sautéed Spinach and Mushrooms

Spinach and mushrooms go so well together.  They are quick to prepare and satisfying.

It’s important to brown the mushrooms to bring out their flavor. The mushrooms will cook up beautifully without any butter or oil in a non-stick pan.  My husband taught me this, but sometimes I add butter - just for the flavor. I do love butter.

I always buy the gigantic bag of spinach even though it that takes up half a shelf in my fridge, which surprisingly only weighs 1 ½# - it’s all fluff.  I use it for cooking and salads - and find that it's easier to say a handful instead of a measurement - when it comes to buying bulk spinach. I'm guessing that a couple of handfuls would be equal to a bunch or about 4 cups.

When you add the spinach to the pan it will look like a lot, but it will shrink down to almost nothing.  The recipe below is a generous portion for one or two small portions, as a side.

I have fresh lemon juice listed as an option because I think that lemon really brings out the flavor of spinach.  It just all depends on my mood - sometimes I do and sometimes I don’t add it. 

Quick Sautéed Spinach and Mushrooms
4              large      mushrooms, sliced
2              large      handfuls spinach
¼             cup         chicken broth or water
¼             of a        lemon, juiced (optional)
kosher salt and black pepper - to taste

Heat a non stick pan over med heat and add the mushrooms.
Allow the mushrooms to lightly brown on both sides.

When the mushrooms are brown add the spinach and chicken broth.

Toss to wilt the spinach; season with salt and pepper; and lemon juice (if using).

No comments:

Post a Comment