Pages

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Lentil, Kale, Zucchini and Sweet Potato Stew

Are you feeling the bloat in your belly that comes like clockwork this time of year?
I Sure am!
To put it lightly... it's Un-comfortable.

So in preparation of the belly breaking holiday meals behind and ahead of me. I went in search of a recipe that would lighten me up and at the same time taste good.  Is it even possible?

That’s when I stumbled upon this recipe that was labeled as a detox meal.  Yup- the word detox didn't make my mouth water, but the ingredients got my interest. Hmmmm... Four of my favorite super foods packed into a one pot meal that will deliver a high-5 to my digestive system. What more could I ask for? Sounds like a good idea, right, but how will it taste?  

Surprise, Surprise – it was Delicious!  Each ingredient added it's own special flair. The garam masala and curry powder made this meatless dish almost feel meaty. Just saying... The lentils and sweet potatoes added a creamy background to this otherwise brothy dish and the bitter kale together with the sweet zucchini added the bite.

This hearty soup is called a stew simply because it is absent of the soupiness one would desire in a soup.  You could make it soupier by adding less veggies if you choose.  However, I think the point of this dish is to feed your body a hearty dose of veggies that will keep your motor running through the holidays and into the New Year.  It's totally up to you, soup or stew?

The leftovers though soggy were still delicious and I found myself reaching into the fridge for small bowls through out the day. This tasty stew got rid of my bloated belly and I could feel my digestive system shoot me a high-5.  This recipe is an absolute keeper.

Lentil, Kale, Zuccchini and Sweet Potato Stew

2              Tbsp.     olive oil
1              med.     Onion, diced
3              cloves   Garlic, minced
1              med       Red Bell Pepper, diced
¼             tsp.        Garam Masala or Cumin
1              Tbsp.     Curry Powder
1              tsp.        kosher salt
¼             tsp.        black pepper
14oz.       can         Stewed or Diced Tomatoes
14oz.       can         Chicken or Veggie Broth
3              cups       water
1              cup         lentils, dried green (rinsed)
1              large      sweet potato, peeled and cubed small
1              bunch   kale, coarse chop with stems removed
1              med       zucchini, cubed small

  • Saute onions, garlic, red peppers in olive oil until soft.
  • Add Garam Masala, Curry Powder, salt and pepper;  cook till fragrant (about 1 min.)
  • Add tomatoes, broth, water  and lentils; bring to a boil.  Lower heat and cover; simmer for 10 min.
  • Bring heat back up and add sweet potatoes; lower heat and cover; simmer for 15min.
  • Bring heat back up and add zucchini then pile kale into the pot (the kale will seem like it is too much, but it will shrink) lower heat and cover; cook for 5 min. (the kale will have shrunk enough to stir) Stir; cover and cook for 10 more min.
January 22, 2019

You can cook this soup ahead of time leaving out the kale and zucchini. When you are ready to serve. Heat up the soup and and add kale and zucchini. This will keep the veggies from getting soggy.

If you want a soupier soup, add an extra can or two of chicken broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment