Pages

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Chicken Paprikash or Paprika Chicken

Chicken Paprikash or Paprika Chicken
When I Googled, How many chicken paprikash recipes are on the internet? I was shocked to discover that there are over 4 million and only a little over 1 million for beef stew recipes. Really? This fact goaded me to do more research on this simple one pot Hungarian comfort dish. No, I didn’t read all 4 million recipes, but I did read quite a few.

Which got me thinking, if over 4 million people felt the need to share their recipes, I was certain that I needed to add it to my recipe collection. It doesn’t matter what you call it - Chicken Paprikash or Paprika Chicken, it’s delicious and easy.

There are so many twists to this recipe and everyone seems to have their own version. Since I'm lacking a Hungarian grandmother to ask, I sorted through the jumble of recipes to make my version and I was very pleased with the results.

My Notes to you…

Most of the recipes don’t recommend marinating the chicken, however, one did and after reading the comments, I decided to marinate my chicken. This step is optional and if you decide not to marinate – just add the 1T. paprika and 1 tsp. salt (listed under chicken marinade) to the Seasonings mix. Then all you would need to do is salt and pepper the chicken and brown it, making an easy dish - easier.

Some recipes just call for paprika while others are very specific and encourage you to use Fresh Sweet Hungarian Paprika - ensuring that this simple dish has optimum flavor. I read this joke told by Arthur Schwartz;

Taste memories are funny.“If you really want your food to taste like a Jewish grandmother’s,” he said. “You’ll need to season it with paprika that’s been stored near the stove for at least 3 years.

And because I wanted my Chicken Paprikash to taste like an old Jewish grandmother (LOL), I must admit that I used generic paprika that I had in the back of my spice drawer and loved the results. However, I do look forward to getting fresh Sweet Hungarian paprika the next time I make this – knowing that it will improve upon an already delicious dish.

I also wanted to mention that this dish can be made with or without the addition of sour cream. The stewed chicken in the tomato gravy flavored with onions, bell pepper and paprika was complete. Adding the sour cream makes it rich and creamy. So, you decide - with or without.

Chicken Paprikash
printable recipe

4          chicken thighs
4          chicken legs

Chicken Marinade/Rub
1          Tbsp               Hungarian sweet paprika
1          tsp.                 kosher salt
1          Tbsp.              oil

Veggies
1          lg.                    onion, sliced
2          lg.                    bell peppers (I used 1 red/1 green), sliced

Seasonings (mix together)
1          tsp.                  kosher salt
½         tsp.                  pepper
2          Tbsp.               Hungarian sweet paprika
2          Tbsp.               flour

Sauce
½      cups                chicken broth
1          can                 diced tomatoes (14oz.) or 1 large fresh tomato, diced

Finish
½         cup                 sour cream
1          Tbsp.              parsley, chopped

Mix paprika, salt and oil together and rub on the chicken pieces. Marinate overnight. Marinating is Optional, read note above.

Heat oil in a large heavy skillet or Dutch oven over med-high heat. Brown chicken pieces in batches, starting with the skin side down until well browned, about 5 – 7 min per side. Set browned chicken on a plate.

Pour off all but 2 Tbsp. of fat from the pot; cook onions until soft and translucent over med heat, about 5 min. Add seasoning mix with flour and stir well to combine; cook for about 3 – 4 min. Add peppers and cook for 1 – 2 min.

Add chicken broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil to thicken sauce.

Place chicken pieces over sauce, skin side up with skin exposed. Cover and simmer for 30 min. or until chicken is cooked through and tender.

Transfer chicken to a plate. Let sauce cool slightly and add sour cream off the stove, so it won’t curdle or add sour cream to ½ cup of hot sauce, then stir back into the pot.

Serve over buttered egg noodles or, in our house, rice.


4 comments:

  1. "Since I'm lacking a Hungarian grandmother to ask ..."

    I'm pretty sure you can get one on e-bay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m definitely gonna try this. My family and I just love all your recipes that I’ve made over the years. I’ll be adding this to my cookbook. Thank you so so much 🙏🏼❤️🤙🏼

    ReplyDelete