Pages

Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Belnord Hotel, NYC

BELNORD HOTEL, NYC
CORNER OF 87th & BROADWAY


The first thing I said when I opened the door and looked into the room was; “This can’t be right? I’m sure I reserved a room with a bathroom.” When we stepped into the room and closed the door we discovered a little bathroom built for one that was completely hidden by the front door. This was a relief. The next observation was that there were no closets or dressers for our clothes.

I looked over at my husband and immediately recognized the expression on his face. He was waiting and ready for me to start the process of changing rooms.

If you have ever traveled with me, you already know that I am a chronic room changer and will keep at it until I get a room that is comfortable to me where ever I go, from a Motel 6 in the states to The Westin Europa & Regina in Venice.

My husband whom has traveled with me over the past 27 years knows that I will always request at least one room change. He even makes it a point to inform our traveling companions or our children not to get too comfortable until I give the word that this is the room.

But for some odd reason this time I simply settled for the room I had been assigned, which was pretty much a large walk in closet dressed up as a hotel room. Confused and dumbfounded my husband says to me, “Aren’t you going to ask for a larger room?” I replied, “No, this is exactly what I expected.” But, I will ask if any of the other rooms have closets.

The person at the front desk informed me that all the rooms at the Belnord were small and that a few of their rooms have closets. But, that luxury would mean an even smaller room. We opted to asked for a couple of hangers and stayed in our assigned room.

NYC is ridiculously expensive and I hunted down many overpriced sold out rooms before settling on this particular location.

Before we checked into the Belnord Hotel on the corner of 87th and Broadway I had read hundreds of reviews and knew that the room would be tiny, not small. In fact, one of the reviews would go on to state that when we opened the door we would step right onto our bed. This was not an exaggerated statement. I thought I would outsmart the system when I requested a room with two twin beds rather than one double making the assumption that it would be a slightly larger room. And it probably was.

This reality became more accurate when I rode down in the elevator with a young man who was looking up and around with a confused look on his face. Then he turned to me and said, “I think this elevator is the same size as my room.”

The upside to the Belnord Hotel is that the room was extremely clean and in a great location with easy access to the subway and restaurants galore. Comfortable beds with black out curtains located on a side street that was quiet.

If you are planning to run around NYC and not spend a lot of time in your room I would highly recommend this hotel. Nothing fancy, simply a well located clean room with comfortable beds.

A SHOT OF OUR ROOM STANDING OUTSIDE THE DOOR IN THE HALLWAY



MORE POST ABOUT NEW YORK CITY...


EUGENE TO NEW YORK

CECILY'S GRADUATION SLIDESHOW

EATING MY WAY THROUGH CHINATOWN

No comments:

Post a Comment