Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Turkey Pot Pie Casserole

PRINT RECIPE

It’s leftover night again. I had about 2 pounds of turkey that I had leftover from a turkey I roasted and I was planning to turn it into turkey salad but it was so cold outside that I decided to make a pot pie casserole instead. I dug out a couple of quarts of leftover turkey gravy from my freezer that I had left over from Christmas and put it in the microwave on defrost (yes, I said Christmas and yes, it is still perfectly delicious) while I started prepping the rest of the dish.


I got a med pot of salted water boiling and cooked my potatoes and carrots for 5 minutes. Drained them and set them aside.

I chopped up some onions, celery, garlic and sautéed it in butter until it was very soft and fragrant. Then I added about a half pound of mushrooms that I also had in my fridge. Stirred in the diced turkey and gravy and gave it a mix. Then I poured it all into a casserole dish.

My friend Bonnie makes an amazing chicken pot pie and introduced me to the pot pie casserole idea. She always top’s hers with puff pastry cut into single serving pieces on top so when it comes out of the oven it looks like it is already cut into portions. I have copied her many of times but tonight was a leftover night and I didn’t have any puff pastry in my freezer so I mixed up a single recipe for pie crust. At first I was a little mystified about how to roll out a perfect rectangle to top my pot pie. My solution was to cut the crust into random pieces and place them over the casserole covering the entire top in a puzzle format. I think it actually made a nice pattern. I was so preoccupied with the crust that I forgot to add the peas… oops.

If you don’t have leftover turkey gravy in your freezer make a batch of basic chicken gravy.

This is a perfect cold weather meal. All you need is a crusty baguette and butter to complete this meal.



TURKEY POT PIE
Recipe for a single pie crust, cut into random pieces to top the casserole

2 pounds turkey, cooked and cut into bite size pieces
3 Tbsp. butter
1 large onion, chopped small
2 large stalks celery, chopped small
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 med potatoes, cut into cubes
2 med carrots, cut into circles or cubes
½ pound mushrooms, quartered
1 ½ quarts turkey gravy
½ cup frozen peas

Bring a med pot of salted water to a boil and cook carrots and potatoes for 5 minutes, drain and set aside.

Chop onions, celery and garlic and sweat over med heat until very soft. Add mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms have released their liquid. Add turkey and stir to mix. Add gravy, cooked carrots, potatoes and peas and stir to mix. Pour into a 9 X 13 casserole dish and top with pie crust pieces or puff pastry. Bake for 30 - 45 minutes in a 400 degree oven or until the crust is golden brown. Let the casserole rest for about 15 minutes before serving to let it cool down and set up a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment