Pages

Friday, November 26, 2010

Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie

PRINT RECIPE
If it ain’t broke…  why fix it.

This was the first pie I ever made and have made it this way ever since.
This is the basic straight from the label pumpkin pie recipe with one adjustment.  I cut back the sugar to ½ cup because I don’t like my pies to be too sweet.

I have experimented by baking my own pumpkin and mashing it, as well as adding cardamom and other spices.  But found that the difference is so slight that it really isn’t worth the extra effort.

Today I decided to make an assortment of 5” mini pies rather than one whole pie.  One double crust recipe made enough dough for 6  mini pies.  One recipe of pumpkin pie mix filled 2 shells leaving enough behind to make one layered pumpkin custard which is in the oven right now.

LIBBY’S FAMOUS PUMPKIN PIE
1          9” deep dish    pie shell

1          15 oz. can       pumpkin
1          12 oz. can       evaporated milk
½         cup                  sugar
½         tsp.                  salt
1          tsp.                  ground cinnamon
½         tsp.                  ground ginger
¼         tsp.                  ground cloves
2          large                eggs

Place all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix to blend.  Pour into a prepared pies shell and bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes.  Cover crust with foil guard.  Drop temperature to 350 and bake for 40 – 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. 

I was surprised that the mini pies needed the whole 40 minutes when I dropped the temperature.  Total cooking time for the mini pies were 15 min. @ 425 plus 40 min. @ 350.

2 comments:

  1. You need 3/4 cup of sugar for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thanksgiving! I purposely cut back on the sugar when I posted this, because I personally like my pumpkin pie less sweet. So, I guess you could say... this is the original recipe with a slight adjustment :)

      Delete