Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Cauliflower with Avocado Mash

It’s hard to find different things to eat when you are eating low carb.  Everything starts to look and taste the same.  I love steamed cauliflower plain with just a sprinkling of salt and pepper, but I was in a been there, had that mood.  I needed a change.

When I was growing up avocados were abundant and my mom used to mash them up with a little bit of mayonnaise and use it as filling for a sandwich.  Just two slices of white bread and avocado mash, nothing else.  I craved them as a child – but I have to admit – I haven’t eaten once since.  That’s where I got this idea.

The end result tasted kind of like potato salad – I said kind of… and as the avocado sat on the warm cauliflower it started to brown making it look like curry, which still looked delicious but was deceiving.  Actually, curry would be a good add in next time.  When I think of avocados, I think of guacamole, which makes me think of salsa – salsa would also be a good mix in or topper.

This is something that you want to make and eat right away, it won't hold well.  If you prefer this to be cold instead of hot - chill your cauliflower before mixing and mashing your avocados.

This is what I did - placed half a small avocado in a bowl with about ½ Tbsp. mayonnaise and mashed it together and seasoned it with salt and pepper.  A squeeze of lemon or lime will add flavor and prevent the avocado from browning too quickly.
Steam the cauliflower for 4 - 5 min. and toss it with the avocado mash and serve.

2 comments:

  1. I have to try this! I have been eating low-carb since Jan 2011. Well, mostly. Cheat meals here and there. Cheat WEEKS here and there. It's rough at the holiday time!

    I wrote you a few weeks ago about your carnitas recipe, and decided to check back in to your site. So glad I did!

    By the way, I have 13.4 pounds of your carnitas in the fridge. To eat the carnitas, we use Carb Balance tortillas, cheese, your guacamole sauce, and lettuce. And Trader Joe's jalapeño sauce. They are the best tacos ever. We could eat them 5 days a week. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy, Welcome back! Thanks for stopping by and for sharing your enthusiasm. Your visits always put a smile on my face.

      I have been doing a high carb/low carb rotation for the last 4 weeks and have been blogging on it. You might get some meal ideas from that site http://vemmabodejourney.blogspot.com/
      Happy Eating and Cooking.
      Aloha,Susan

      Delete