Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Buttermilk Chocolate Cake

My daughter Cecily called and said; Mom, I can’t find the buttermilk chocolate cake recipe on your blog.  I said; you are absolutely correct.  I haven’t put it up yet.

Whenever one of my children request a recipe. I feel the need to get it posted a.s.a.p.  Truth is, if it wasn't for them, I probably wouldn't have started this blog in the first place.

I never truly know what recipe they want until I get the request.  I just checked and discovered that I presently have 283 recipes on this blog and I have been blogging for 3 years.  That's almost 100 recipes a year.  Yet, I still don't have all of the kids favorites posted yet.  I wonder if I ever will...

It seems like there are a lot of recipes that fall in to that category.  They get made - but are not documented.  So many recipes - so little time.

My friend Bonnie shared this recipe with me years ago and it’s one of my family’s favorites.  I made it a lot when the kids were growing up, but now that they have grown and moved out. I don't make it very often.  Well, it was time to dust off the recipe and whip up a buttermilk chocolate cake.

Even though this cake is delicious when it’s fresh – it’s better after it's chilled and at its optimum - eaten straight out of the freezer, at least that’s what my family thinks.

When I make this cake I always take the leftovers, cut them into individual squares and freeze them in a zip lock bag.  I do this with bars and cheesecake too.  That way there is always a variety of fresh baked goodies to choose from.

CHOCOLATE BUTTERMILK CAKE

CAKE
1 cup butter -- 2 cubes
4 Tablespoons cocoa
1 cup water
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk

Spray pan coating on a 9 X 13 baking pan.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees

  1. Place butter, cocoa and water in a small pot and bring to a gentle boil over med-low heat.
  2. Put flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl; stir to mix; set aside.
  3. Mix eggs, vanilla and buttermilk in a small bowl; set aside.
  4. When the cocoa mixture comes to a boil; add egg mixture to the flour and pour hot cocoa mixture over the eggs; mix well with a wire whisk.
  5. Pour into a 9 X 13 pan and bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 – 25 min. or until cake tester comes out clean.
  6. Cool for 30 minutes then frost.

FROSTING
1/2 cup butter - 1 cube
2 Tablespoons cocoa
3 Tablespoons buttermilk
16 oz. box powdered sugar – 1 box
1 tsp. vanilla

  1. Place butter, cocoa and buttermilk in a small pot and bring to a gentle boil over med-low heat.
  2. When the cocoa mixture comes to a boil; pour over powdered sugar; add vanilla and mix vigorously with a wire whisk till smooth.  Pour over cake and spread to even out.
*** you can add another Tablespoon of buttermilk when mixing if the frosting is too thick, but don't add too much or it will go in the other direction and take a while to firm up.

This frosting hardens up really quick!  Work FAST once you add the hot cocoa mixture to the sugar, as well as, when spreading over the cake.



No comments:

Post a Comment