Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Alabama White BBQ Sauce

Alabama White BBQ Sauce
Why am I talking BBQ in the dead of winter?  Because we just experienced a string of sunny days which means that my husband will need to fire up his BBQ. Which means, we need to whip up some sauce.

I learn new things everyday and today I'm going to share a recipe that will change the way you think of BBQ sauce.

While visiting our friends Craig and Kelly in California, we did what we always do with foodie friends.  We start talking recipes and that's where I was introduced to White BBQ Sauce.  Thanks for the recipe!

The first thought that came to my mind during the discussion was...

Why is he calling it BBQ sauce when we all know that BBQ sauce is brick red. Ha-ha on me.

It was time to do some research...

White BBQ sauce is Alabama's all purpose sauce.

The story is that Big Bob Gibson concocted the white BBQ sauce back in 1925.  He started out serving his Bar-B-Q  on a makeshift table made of oak planks nailed to a sycamore tree in his back yard where he had a hand-dug pit that he smoked his meats.  
Wish I could have experienced that.

The reason he was called Big Bob is that he weighed 300 pounds and had a 6'4" frame.  That's BIG!


So... What is White BBQ Sauce and what do I do with it?

White bbq sauce has a tangy, light flavor that was traditionally used for smoked chicken.  However, I wouldn't stop there.

I hate to use this example, but it was what came to mind.  It's the kicked up version of ranch dressing.

I'm not talking flavor.  I'm talking versatility.  

What I am saying is that I've seen people use ranch on just about everything.

  • a marinade
  • a dip for buffalo hot wings or veggies
  • pizza
  • Bar-B-Q
  • fried chicken
  • burgers
  • fries
  • wraps
  • sandwiches
  • pasta

not to forget...

  • salads 

White is my new favorite color.  What I love about white bbq sauce is that it compliments without overpowering.  Allowing your palate a break from the usual tomato base flavors that most bbqs offer.  

Often times, tomato based bbq sauce will drown out the perfect smokiness of the chicken or ribs.  

Where as... the white bbq keeps the smoke flavor front and center.


Use your imagination and share with me how you used your white bbq sauce. I kicked up the horseradish and served it with Kono's exceptional prime rib.  Yummmm

Alabama White BBQ Sauce

1 Cup Mayonnaise
2 Tbspn Hot Horseradish
4 Tbspn Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tsp Kosher Salt
1 Tsp Sugar
1/4 Tsp Cayenne
2 Tbspn Buttermilk

Mix all ingredients together. Chill and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment