Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Basic Butter Sauce


EVERYTHING'S BETTER WITH BUTTER

I was making steamed broccoli and cauliflower as a side dish and would usually just toss it with a couple pats of butter. OK maybe more than that :)

Then I thought... there must be a recipe for a basic butter sauce that wasn't just melted butter with flavorings. And sure enough - there was!  I found this recipe on food.com that was recommended for pasta or veggies.
An Absolute keeper!!! I can honestly say that I prefer this to straight butter. The proof was in the empty veggie dish and I made a lot.

This was exactly what I was looking for. A simple sauce that looked and tasted like butter without the oily residue left from straight melted butter.  This is a definite keeper.  The butter flavor is prominent with a clean light creaminess. The only thing that I did different from the original recipe is to add a little garlic and kosher salt. The changes were subtle, yet added a lot.

Great Leftovers!!! I refrigerated the leftovers and to my surprise it didn't clump up or harden and stayed creamy and saucy.  Now I have plenty of Garlicky Butter Sauce ready to toss with pasta for a quick meal or another batch of veggies. Lucky me :)

Basic Butter Sauce
3/4 cup butter (a stick and a half)
1 cup water or milk
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 smashed clove garlic
1/4 tsp. kosher salt

Place water and cornstarch in a small sauce pot and mix to dissolve cornstarch. Add butter, garlic, kosher salt and mix with a whisk until it comes to a boil.

No comments:

Post a Comment