Pages

Monday, May 10, 2010

Whole Butterflied Roasted Chicken

PRINT RECIPE



My friend Dave sent me a link to a fantastic web page that described how NOT to roast chicken. The big question was, to brine or not to brine. I am a firm believer in butterflying the chicken so that part was a no brainer.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/05/how-to-roast-a-chicken-butterflied-tips.html?ref=carousel
I read the article through and decided to use a thermometer (which I don’t usually do for chicken). I needed to cook the chicken breast to 150 degrees as described in the article to see if the legs and thighs would be cooked through. I also wanted to find out how long it took for the breast meat to reach 150 degrees.
Even though the article states that you don’t need to brine the chicken, I decided to brine my chicken to insure that the breast meat will be juicy as well as flavor the chicken all the way through and not just the exterior.

I roasted the chicken in a 400 degree oven and it took 47 minutes to reach 150 degrees. It was still a bit pale so I placed it under the broiler for a couple of minutes to get a little color on the skin. It really didn’t work as well as I had hoped. It only darkened the protruding parts of the chicken. Following the instructions as stated in the article, I removed it from the oven even though it didn’t look done. When I cut into the chicken it wasn’t cooked all the way through.

After my experiment... These are my thoughts,

  • I would still brine the chicken if I had the time, to insure that the breast meat was moist.
  • I would butterfly the chicken all of the time.
  • I would leave out the thermometer and roast the chicken in a 400 degree oven for 50 minutes to an hour or until the skin is golden brown.


WHOLE BUTTERFLIED ROASED CHICKEN
5 ½ pound whole chicken, back removed
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. black pepper

  1. Remove the back bone with a kitchen scissors or a cleaver (this is what I used).
  2. Brine the chicken (recipe below)
  3. Dry well with paper towels
  4. Coat chicken evenly with 1 Tblsp. olive oil.
  5. Season both sides with salt and pepper
  6. Place skin side up in a foil lined sheet pan with a sturdy cookie cooling rack, which has been sprayed with non-stick spray (for easy clean up).
  7. Roast in a 400 degree oven for 50 minutes to an hour, until the skin is golden brown.


BRINE
½ cup kosher salt
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 gal. water
Dissolve the salt and sugar in water. Place chicken in the brine, breast side down and let sit in the fridge overnight.

MORE CHICKEN RECIPES

CHICKEN CACCIATORE

BARBECUE CHICKEN IN THE OVEN

BAKED GINGER GARLIC CHICKEN

SIMPLE ROAST CHICKEN BREAST

CHICKEN PAD THAI

DIJON CHICKEN SATAY WITH PEANUT SAUCE

LEMONGRASS CHICKEN SATAY

CHICKEN CHOW MEIN

CHICKEN SALAD

CURRIED CHICKEN SALAD ON TOAST

CHINESE MUSHROOM CHICKEN

CHINESE GINGER CHICKEN

CHICKEN KING THING

CHICKEN CORN SOUP

No comments:

Post a Comment