Pages

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Chinese Mushroom Chicken

PRINT RECIPE


This recipe was requested by my friend Connie in Hawaii. When she asked for it I couldn’t remember how to make it. I mentioned it to my husband and he said that he would love to eat it. So I stirred up my memory and this is what I came up with. I learned how to make this dish when I was about 12 years old from Pui Lee who taught me a lot in the kitchen of Jack’s.
It is a simple one pot dish that is flavored with oyster sauce and mushroom flavored dark soy sauce which can be purchased at your neighborhood Asian grocer. I always try to have everything prepped before I start to assemble. Sometimes I soak the shitake mushrooms in cold water overnight in the refrigerator so I have them ready when I’m ready to cook.

CHINESE MUSHROOM CHICKEN
2 pounds boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
2 – 3 slices fresh ginger, smashed
7 whole dried shitake mushrooms, soaked
2 whole bamboo shoot tips, sliced
15 oz. can whole mushrooms, drained

SAUCE
2 ½ cups mushroom water
2 Tblsp. oyster sauce
1 Tblsp. mushroom soy sauce
2 Tblsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. kosher salt

Soak shitake mushrooms in 3 – 4 cups of hot tap water for 15 – 20 minutes to rehydrate them. When the mushrooms are soft, cut off the stems and discard. Then cut each mushroom in half. Save 2 ½ cups of the mushroom water for the sauce.

Add oyster sauce, mushroom soy, cornstarch and kosher salt to the 2 ½ cups of mushroom water. Stir to blend and set aside.

Heat a pot on med – high. Add about 2 Tblsp. oil. Add the ginger and cook lightly to bring out the flavor. Add the chicken and cook until all the pieces are brown. Add the shitake, bamboo shoots and mushrooms.

Stir the sauce to dissolve the cornstarch and pour into the pot. Stir and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 – 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Garnish with sliced green onions.








LOOKING FOR CHINESE RECIPES? HOW ABOUT...

SWEET & SOUR SPARERIBS

BEEF BROCCOLI

GINGER CHICKEN

CHICKEN CHOW MEIN

KAU YUK

STIR FRY PORK AND GREEN ONIONS

JOOK

CRAB & TOMATO EGG

SWEET & SOUR SAUCE


MORE CHICKEN RECIPES

CHICKEN CACCIATORE

WHOLE BUTTERFLIED ROASTED CHICKEN

BARBECUE CHICKEN IN THE OVEN

BAKED GINGER GARLIC CHICKEN

SIMPLE ROAST CHICKEN BREAST

CHICKEN PAD THAI

DIJON CHICKEN SATAY WITH PEANUT SAUCE

LEMONGRASS CHICKEN SATAY

CHICKEN CHOW MEIN

CHICKEN SALAD

CURRIED CHICKEN SALAD ON TOAST

CHINESE MUSHROOM CHICKEN

CHINESE GINGER CHICKEN

CHICKEN KING THING

CHICKEN CORN SOUP

No comments:

Post a Comment