Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Fresh Wild Ahi Tuna

Sashimi grade Ahi tuna at the Eugene Costco?  Yup, someone on the "inside" must have had a plan for this chunk of gold, but I got hold of it first and I wasn't going to leave without it.  The minute I spotted it I knew that there was going to be some deliciousness in my kitchen tonight.

There is always a sea of different shades of white fish at my Costco, with occasional shades of grey representing the shellfish.  But today as I was scanning the seafood selection, I spotted a pack of what looked like, fresh sashimi grade Ahi Tuna.  The label read, FRESH - WILD- AHI- TUNA, and as I took in each word, I started to get very excited.  I picked up the pack and inspected it from every angle to see if it was anything short of perfect.

Fortunately, I couldn't find a single imperfection, even the price was amazing at $12.99 per pound.  This grade of Ahi usually runs about $23 -$25 per pound and up.  So, what was a picture perfect piece of Ahi doing at Costco in Eugene, at what appeared to be half price? Seriously, was this a joke?  Was someone going to jump out and shout, you've been punk'd!  I must admit, I did look over my shoulder to check...

Ok, you might be thinking, what's the big deal?  It's just a chunk of fish.  No, not just a chunk of fish, but a chunk of fish that is very expensive and hard to come by in my neck of the woods.  So for me, this is a gift and right about now, I'm feeling pretty special.

There was still one more test.  When I got home I immediately unwrapped the fish to check for freshness and discovered that this was Amazingly Fresh Fish!  It was everything that I had hoped for and more.

This is what I did with my find..
First I stopped to admire it.
Then I cut it into blocks for sashimi and...
delicious Sesame Crusted Ahi with Wasabi Ginger Mayo
Then I made Poke and more Poke until it was all gone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment